another question on fuel lift pump CTD 2001

I just swapped out the lift pump, and I was wondering if the new pump needs to be primed in some way, or will it self prime without damaging itself?

Thanks Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

Start it as you would if you changed the fuel filter. You also might want to consider a fuel pressure gauge in case you have another failure and trash the IP.

Reply to
Roy

just curious, does the "wait to start" light sense actual fluid pressure at the IP, by any chance?

thanks bill

Reply to
bill allemann

Not that I'm aware of. It is the grid heater iirc.

Reply to
Roy

just got her fired up. I haven't worked on vehicles to speak of for about

30 years, so it's pretty cool to fix some things myself. Thanks for all the help.

Reply to
bill allemann

Good deal! Now, you really should get a fuel pressure gauge to keep a eye on things. The IP is about a $1,500.00 part, well worth the cost of the gauge.

Reply to
Roy

Are you talking about a dash mounted permanent gage, or something to hook up in the shop? If dash mounted, do they come with connection fittings? It would tee into the line going from transfer pump to the filter? Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

Geno's Garage has what you need. Start with this kit:

which will give you a hose coming off the inlet side of the injection pump (measuring the fuel pressure delivered by the lift pump), to which you can attach either an isolator (for a mechanical gauge) or a sending unit (for an electrical gauge).

Having had both in my truck, I much prefer the electric gauge, as the isolator gave me nothing but problems.

Geno's also offers a selection of gauges and mounts, as well.

If the whole setup is a little too much for you to spend, at least get this set-up and check your FP every once in a while:

Tom Lawrence

You can get a pillar mount or a under dash mount. Here's a good place to get what you need.

They will talk you through the install.

Reply to
Roy