Stilo Schumacher GP

Hi

I have just upgraded from a 1.4 16v Fiat Punto sporting to a Stilo Schumacher GP 2.4 5 cylinder 20v . I'm well impressed with it does anyone else have one or anyone with any experience on driving one.

As i said im really impressed with it and a bit suprised as its not the sort of car i ever imagined you could buy from Fiat, with it monsterous engine sound and 18" rims

Anyone have any specs or information on this it is ment to be a LTD edition,

Thanks

Terry

Reply to
Visual Reality

Basically an evolution of the original Stilo Abarth, which was the same 2.4 engine but only came with the Selespeed clutchless gearbox.

I have the original version and am fairly happy. I say fairly because with over 32 years of owning and servicing Fiats, my Abarth has been the most interesting and troublesome.

First of all my major problems have been, in my opinion, dealer induced. Like all Fiat engines the 5 cylinder model is very reliable and pretty bullet proof. Just my luck mine developed a rattle when only 3K miles old. Fiat UK to their credit were not prepared to subject the engine and customer to stripdown and repair traumas. A brand new engine was fitted instead. That engine is still running strong, towing a caravan from the UK to Italy every year.

However I have experienced some interesting problems which I believe are design and dealer related

1) on the selespeed model the gearbox electrical connectors appear to be fragile and don't appreciate anything but delicate handling 2) the radiator cannot be easily blead. It is difficult to explain but I will try. The top radiator hose is some 10cm from the top of the rad. The bleed screw is located and TOTALLY hidden behind the air intake tube resonator box which is located 1/3rd of the way down the tube. This inlet tube cannot be removed without removing the whole air intake system, which requires the battery to be removed. This means that proper cooling system bleeding is a multiple step process. My dealers took a one step process which I believe resulted in subsequent suspect thermosat replacement and finally radiator failure . 3) The original Stilos had both front and rear wheel tracking problems. These should be sorted by now. 4) Like all large engine modern cars space in the engine comparment is very much at a premium and component failure can be expensive in labour charges.

Having said the above I'm still behind my Stilo. Will I eventually change it? YES!

Reason: The Selespeed gearbox. If you tow then this gearbox is not for you or the car!

I did not have that choice/option.

Apart from the above the Stilo 2.4 is a great car and very much underated in my opinion.

Nick /////

Reply to
Nick /////

Nick

The Stilo Schmacher hasnt got a selespeed gearbox, the dealer did tell me they had problems with the Arbarth so looks like i might be ok there One quick question as you seem to know a fairbit about Stilos

When i corner tightly at high speed there is a squikey sound. what is this it sounds like a pump or something it was abit worrying at first but the wheels havent fallen off yet so if must be something that helps with cornering thats a bit noisy

Thanks for the info

Reply to
Visual Reality

A squeaky sound when your corner tightly at high speeds? lol....its not your tires squealing as they're on the limit of their grip is it?

hehe

Jimbo

Reply to
Jane Higginson

Jane

I know what tyre squeal is !! definatly not that sound thats as constant and engine noise for me

Terry

Reply to
Visual Reality