'88-'90 TBI to TPI switch

Ok, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to handle this job, but I'd like some feedback to make sure I'm doing the right thing first. My friend has a

1990 camaro RS with the 305 bored out to a 347, and we want to put the TPI intake from my old 1988 IROC on his engine. will I need the entire wiring harness and computer out of my car, or can I splice parts of it? Also, will my custom burned chip work with his engine if he will get my enitre intake and my upgraded fuel injectors that the chip was all designed for? More questions to follow.

The Freak

Reply to
FBodyFreak

If you want to chase electrical gremlins, by all means start splicing, Regardless you'll need the ECM. You'll also need the wiring diagrams for both cars handy. Better to just remove the harness and put it in the other car.

As far as the chip, you could probably yet away with it if everything is identical (EVERYTHING, not just what you're swapping over), and even then I'd probably do the right thing and have a new one made.

FBodyFreak wrote:

Reply to
Anthony T.

Dunno if you're swapping in a MAF. MAF's tolerant of the kind of swap you're talking about (change in displacement, cam changes, etc.) The speed density systems are ultimately better in design but have no tolerance in these changes. FYI: the MAF systems will reportedly accept a mathematical change from 350 to a 383 with higher compression ratios and moderate cam changes. This is due to the "searching" for a best fuel and timing maps (hence why density's ultimately better but that's a different topic). I don't think a speed density design will accept a 305 chip for use in a 347, but that's just my opinion off the cuff. Drink "Anthony T." wrote in message news:92oVg.14624$ snipped-for-privacy@news-wrt-01.rdc-nyc.rr.com...

Reply to
James Drinkwater

his is tbi or carb, not quite sure, he didn't give me enough details; but mine is MAF, not speed density. I also forgot to mention that mine is an auto, and his is the M5, does that even matter to the ECM? If so, is there any way around it without buying a new wiring harness/ECM? Thanks in advance.

The Freak

Reply to
FBodyFreak