COPO Camaros

Saw a great program today on the 1969 COPO Camaros on a Muscle Cars episode on Speed tv. Ahh... the good ol' days. I recall when I thought $5K was too much for a used 427 Shelby Cobra. Silly me!

Question: Will a ZL-1 engine fit in a gen 3 Camaro? Is this engine still available? (yes, I know the drive train would need upgrading).

nb

Reply to
notbob

The ZL-1 is not in production. It was an All Aluminum 427 Big Block. You can reproduce one with aftermarket parts.

To fit one in a 82 to 92 F-body wouldbe the same as any other big block.

Being realistic to reproduce one will probably run you over $10K. Then you will have to upgrade the rest of the driveline, and the chassis to handle that much torque. Cost wise figure another $4000. You will probably also have clearance issues with the hood, so plan on either replacing it with an aftermarket scooped hood, or having to use a snorkel scoop to cover the carb.

If you have the car, the money, and the resources to build it, then by all means do so. If not, your looking at a long and costly project from hell. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

So, why would a project costing $14K be a worry in a world charging $22K for a Toyota Corolla?

nb

Reply to
notbob

If you can afford it:

The name of the game is enjoyment when the five O'clock bell rings. If I had my choice between a $22K offshore, or another BIG BLOCK, I love big blocks!

I'd drive the big block when I punch out!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

This is from GP Performance Parts:

12370850 ZL1 Aluminum Big Block The Chevrolet ZL1 Aluminum Big Block is back and better than ever. This block was first introduced in the 1969 Corvette and Camaro. It was one of the rarest production engines ever built. Now the improved version is available. This block is based on the original tooling. The new casting is made from 356-T6M aluminum alloy and has a 4.118" cast iron liner that can be bored to 4.300". The bottom end has also been improved with new four-bolt splayed steel main caps, with dowel pins to locate and hold the caps in place. This block includes screw-in freeze plugs with o-ring seals, and a two-piece rear seal. The new block has a provision for both dry sump or regular oil pump systems and mechanical fuel pump. All GM performance cylinder heads will fit this block and it only weighs 110 lbs. The maximum stroke is 4.375".

I notice no price is listed, have to call a dealer and get a quote. ;^)

If you wanted to save some money, you could always build a 454 (or a stroker) and tell everyone it's an L88. Not as much cool factor but a lot more ooomph.

In addition to Charles comments:

I've talked to people who were trying to squeeze 455s into 3rd gens and they were having a lot of problems with exhaust issues. You might want to do some research on the net to see if anyone has tried a BBC yet and can give you real details.

Anything can be made to fit but "long and costly project" comes to mind. ;^)

Dave(gonna be a bear to keep cool I imagine)

Reply to
poncho462

I was mistaken. I did not know that GM was making that engine again. Now if I only had the cash laying around for a crate motor. I already have the perfect vehicle. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Its listed in Summit or Jegs catalog. I think the price is around 20 GRAND!

Reply to
Dennis Smith

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

I was searching the net to see if anyone had a ZL1 block for sale and came across an article about a vette resto/buildup. That's where I found that GM was making them again. From the story, GM personnel came across the prints and the tooling for the ZL1 a few years ago and put it back in production but they seem to have improved it over the years.

A ZL1 would be too cool but it's so out of reach for most people. I'd rather race a ZL1 with an iron block and win using all that extra cash for heads, cam, carb, etc. ;^)

Same goes for the aluminum IA block that is being developed. It's a lot easier to fix if you throw a rod but cast iron IA2s are selling for $2900. Maybe I could paint the IA block with aluminum paint? ;^)

A friend of mine runs a performance machine shop near here. A couple of years ago a customer came in and wanted a tall deck IA block with Wenzler heads. You should have seen the bucket of shavings they pulled out of the block, I don't remember the cubic inches when they were done. The engine ended up costing 25K and it was going into a street car for cruise ins. I just don't understand some people. I mean if you have the bucks that's your business but what an engine I could build with 25K.

Dave(I could build a nice car for 25K)

Reply to
poncho462

Now that sure throws a bucket of cold water on the subject. Some things are just not worth the price, whether one has the money or not.

nb

Reply to
notbob