holley carb throws a fit

for those unaware of any of my previous posts i have a holley street avenger carb on a small block 355. I shut the car down yesterday at the gas pump and when i restarted it the idle was screaming at 1500 rpm and wouldn't idle down, it was mid 80's yesterday and i was driving for a while so it had no buisness even trying to warm up. when i hit the throttle to drop the idle it stumbled on tip in and then only went down to 1500. in drive the idle was normal at 650. I went home and lowered the idle screw to normal rpm and it was runnin a bit rough. when put in to drive it would stall. anyone have any idea what might have happened? All aboard the Yankee express, next stop October.....

Reply to
Hitman0187

"Hitman0187" .

it's possible the choke flap closed a bit on ya.

Reply to
S.S.I.N.

make sure choke flap is wide open when car is warm

after adjusting idle make sure your timing is good my suggestions 9 to 12 BTDC in your case

Reply to
Skip Kochera

the choke is wide open, that was the first thing i checked. i set the timing to

12 initial and the car was running a bit crappy i have a decent size cam. so i went to 18 degrees. i have about 14 hg at the base of the carb with these settings. which is what comp cams claims i should have, its the 276 xe cam. 230/236 duration @ .50 still when the car is in drive it barely idles. im in the dark as to what exactly happened. in park its idle is around 1000. in drive it falls to like 425-450. i don't want to leave the idle at 1500 to have the car idle at 650 in drive. All aboard the Yankee express, next stop October.....
Reply to
Hitman0187

Is it am electric, thermal or cable choke?

Please post back?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Please also post in the question I asked previously if it:

a vacum secondary, progressive secondary double pumper or a mechanical secondary conversion with the gear kit?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

its an adjustable vacuum secondary. All aboard the Yankee express, next stop October.....

Reply to
Hitman0187

sorry also its electric choke, but its functioning. it opens and closes. All aboard the Yankee express, next stop October.....

Reply to
Hitman0187

Please see other more in depth post!

Thank you!