Opinions on 1980 Firebird Formula Turbo

I ran across a 1980 Firebird Formula Turbo this week and would like any comments on the vehicle's desireability.

It has a 301 cu inch V-8, automatic with the turbo. Any reliability issues with that setup?

Is that car another example of GM's "floundering" typical of its products of the late 70's/80's? Fit and finish problems?

Any suggestions/opinions appreciated.

LR

Reply to
LR

The Turbo 4.9 engine had been much maligned in the past and had some issues when new due to the engine running hot. The Turbo Pontiac did not have an intercooler. Performnce is very good and magazines said they behaved very much like a 350 rather than a Turbo. The engineers designed it to feel more like a big block to suit the image of the big block Trans Am when big blocks could no longer be produced. For years Turbo Firebirds were looked upon as inferior and only the big blocks, even the Olds 403, were more desirable.

With that being said I love the Turbo's. When they came out with the "Turbo Trans Am" spoiler lettering ("Turbo Formula" on the Formula) my heart raced like I had seen an exotic car. Because they are real Pontiac engines they have more respect than the 403's now. Many Pontiac guys hate non-Pontiac engines. Prices are climbing and they are being sought after since the 400 W72 cars are hard to find and expensive.

A Turbo Formula is certainly more rare than the Trans Am but that does not make it more desirable price wise, so don't pay the TA price for it. I like the rarity myself and you will be in a relatively uncluttered class at shows, competing maybe with older Formula's. Fit and finish is typical of cars built in that era, no where near the quality of today. But a Formula will turns heads better than any Maxima can hope to.

I think a Turbo Formula is a good buy right now. If you like it you should go for it.

Reply to
Steve Manning