1991 ford explorer. rear brakes

so we are trying to bleed the rear brake line. and it seems like it dosnt want to hit the floor when we try to do it. might it be because of the RABS? Caus we are currently checking that if we have it. but any suggestions?

Reply to
Philip Browning

First guess is a bleeder screw that is bunged off..... But it certainly shouldn't be because of the RABs..

Reply to
Jim Warman

If you have the bleeder valve open and you are pressing on the brake pedal it will stop without hitting the floor because of the back pressure in the front brakes. This is a safety feature adopted in the late 60's. Older cars had single chamber master cylinders so when you lost pressure you lost all braking. In modern cars you only loose the front or back. When this happens, the brake pedal will be close to the floor when the braking action starts.

JG

Reply to
Old Mechanic

so how do i go about bleeding or bypassing to bleed the brakes? do i need to bleed the back and front at the same time?

Reply to
Philip Browning

No, you can't do the back & front at the same time. If you want to bleed the back brakes, you open the bleeder valve on the wheel cylinder and have someone push the brake pedal down as far as it will go. It will stop fairly close to the floor. When the pedal is doen as far as it will go, you close the bleeder valve. Then your assistant releases the brake pedal and repeat the process. No NOT release the pedal while the bleeder valve is open and do NOT pump the pedal. This should be done slowly and carefully. Sometimes you can just leave the bleeder open and the fluid will slowly ooze out of the bleeder purging air from the system. Make sure there is sufficient fluid in the master cylinder before you start.

JG

Reply to
Old Mechanic