2000 Exp Question

Hi all, Just upgraded to a 2000 Explorer XLT 4WD, from my 1996 Explorer. Dealer gave me more than I was expecting, surprising, but they've done me well with the last two cars I bought from them (and I also got the this Exp. from them originally)

My question is, how can I find out what kind of transmission my Exp has? Which letter in the VIN denotes this, and also what is my rear axle ratio? I assume that can be derived from the VIN as well.

Everything seems great with this vehicle, tranny feels solid, 4WD system works nice. The only thing I seemed to have found wrong with it was a nice rattle in the rear going over bumps and crappy roads. I looked in the jack storage area and found that it wasn't tightened in there all the way. :p

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
IanCT

No the VIN, but the certification sticker on the driver's door. Post the codes under TR and AXLE (or AX), and someone here will decode them for you, I am sure.

Reply to
IK

I have some to decode. Please. The TR===U The AXLE=D4

MFG. 8-99 for a 2000 year model. I have just upgraded also, from a 94 EB to a 2000 Limited. (And yes I did get that auto check and paid for it too.) I didn't trade my old one in. I purchased from private party.

BTW what all is included in the trailer /tow package for this Exp. I assume it has transmission cooler and LS axle with possibly a larger alternator. What do you think?

I do plan to do; front and rear brake job transfer case service transmission service coolant drain and refill replace fuel filter new battery replace rear window wiper arm, tension is gone, it streaks.

At 67k does someone recommend more service?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill V

Most likely has a tranny cooler. Mine did, and it's a step below your limited, an XLT.

Look under the front end, should be mounted in front of the radiator.

Reply to
IanCT

Well I found out TR = D is transmission type, which D is automatic five speed.

U is Automatic 4R70W (F-150, F-250)

Got these from forff150.net, don't know if they apply to Explorers, but it's possible.

Reply to
IanCT

Found a VIN decoder:

Doesn't show transmission type though.