2003 XLT puddering in the morning........

I have owned my 2003 explorer XLT for about 4 months now....In the morning when I go to start it, it pudders and sounds like it might be running out of gas.....but I am not....this happens only in the morning...I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem

Thanks

Reply to
S & D Heasley

I have no idea... especially with no hint of engine size or aftermarket accessories..... What I will suggest is to make use of the warranty.... expect to leave it overnight so the dealer can see the problem happen and perhaps have some PID monitors set.

Speaking as a dealership mechanic, it doesn't matter if anyone else is having the problem - what matters is that YOU'RE having the problem and it should be addressed.

Jim Warman

Actually yes, same vehicle and just recently it sounds like it's going to stall. I figured I just wasn't letting it warm up enough. Interesting it may not be my fault.

Reply to
Jeff

I don't know the precise meaning of " puddering ", but based on the context, I think my 2003 explorer was puddering several months ago.

I took it to the dealer for an oil change ( included in my purchase) and explained what was happening. Hesitating when starting cold - trying to stall - behaving like a carb equipped vehicle with a bad choke. By the way, it was misbehaving when climbing hills (shifting in and out of OD).

It turns out that there is a service bulletin. They plugged in a fairly large portable computer unit and reprogrammed the explorer's electronics. Problem solved!!

Good Luck!

Reply to
Sy Cohen

I have a 2002 with the 4.0Lv6 and it does the same thing. Only when I first start it in the morning; it's fine the rest of the day. Dealership says they can't find anything wrong with it. This is the second 2002 I've owned (first was a lemon) and they both had the same issue (both were the 4.0v6 motors)

Reply to
AspenXLS

Thanks Sy.

Mine does the same thing. Did it this AM. I'll make note next time I take it in.

a.

Reply to
andrew smith

electronics.

Reply to
Pedro Faberlle

Our '02 4L V6 does heisitate the first time it's started after sitting for over 6-8 hours or overnight. Doesn't stall, but after you drive it 2 blocks, it's ok. wth

Reply to
wth