2001 Explorer Won't Idle

2001 Explorer - V6 - Will not idle on cold mornings. Have to keep accelerator depressed until going. Dies when you slow down (red lights, etc.) Has rough idle at times, but engine not missing. Runs great after warming up. Replaced TPS (Throttle Pressure Sensor) and IAC (Intake Air Control Sensor), did not help. Only does it when cold weather and engine cold. Just did tune-up, plugs, wires, etc.
Reply to
sharondawn

which v6???

If SOHC you will need new intake gaskets

No check engine light ?????????

Reply to
JohanB
2001 Explorer is 4.0 SOHC. No check engine light on. Replaced IAC and TPS, but still idles rough when cold. Waiting to see if it will idle smooth when it turns cold again. Was informed by previous owner he cleaned out the MAF and intake and this worked for him for awhile. Maybe we should add this to our maintenence list???
Reply to
sharondawn

Spray carb/t-body cleaner in lower intake area and see if the idle changes

If so, you need upper and lower intake gaskets

Reply to
JohanB

Good morning, Before you go to crazy, this problem could be as simple as an "engine coolant temp. " sensor. the "ECT" tells your vehicles computer when the engine is cold, at this point the ecu (engine control module or computer) will advance the timing on the engine for cold idle. this could explain why your vehicle runs fine after warming up. I am no mechanic I am simply relaying exactly what I went through after replacing every fuel sensor on my truck it turned out to be the coolant temp sensor wich was $15.00 after 3 fuel sensors at over $50. each. GOOD LUCK

Reply to
kstewa00