2002 to 2004 Explorer XLT

How good is the explorer in the 2002 to 2004 years, is there anything i should know about them before buying one.

Thak you

Reply to
randy1128

Apparently "known issues" with the 2002:

high failure rate on wheel bearings. (I had three go at once, and I've herd of numerous other instances) high failure rate on rear differential (there is a program on this - you still pay part) (minor) propensity of the rear appliqué panel (under the rear window) to crack in cold weather. (also a program and you still pay part) (just look closely at as many as you can find in one parking lot).

2002 V-8 XLT, now at 66,000, meticulously maintained synthetic oil miles. Not my first Ford, but probably my last.
Reply to
NCV-VT

Wow am I lucky, have a 2003 V8 with 88000 miles. I pull a Bass Boat and do all kinds of strange things, mine has the 3:73 axle. Not one major or minor problem, in fact no problems. This is my 5th. Explorer and would purchase another in a heartbeat. From day one I have had the K&N filter in use with duel exhaust. The right side exhaust is run under the rear axle like the Corvette. GM and Toyota SUV's can't do what I do with mine and live. You get what you pay for. If you like Ford go for it, if not do what makes you happy not what someone tells you to do. As for MPG it's 15 in town and 19 on the road, with boat 15. Also I pull the boat at 70 MPH in OD unless going up a very steep incline.

R> How good is the explorer in the 2002 to 2004 years, is there anything i

Reply to
Ron B.

I just traded my 2000 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6 for a 2005 Sport Trac. I bought it with 25k miles on it and it had 78k miles when I traded. I towed my 3000 lb 19 ft walk thru boat with it on a regular basis and my only problems were the rear window wiper, and (of course) 10 mpg while towing. Other wise it got 17 to 18 mpg city and 21 to 22 mpg hwy with K&N air filter.

Reply to
RVenable