2003 EXPLORER REAR END NOISE

My explorer has 80,000 and recently I have notice a low pitched noise from the rear of the truck. It varies with speed and it's not very loud. It may be a wheel bearing or something else. Anyone else had a similar problem? How do you find if there has been a service notice or recall? Thanks for any help. Jim

Reply to
JM

Uh oh. This sounds like the infamous Explorer whining rear end / differential. Thousands of '02 Explorers (including mine) were afflicted with this, and I believe it went on into the '03 model year. In most cases, Ford paid for a rebuild of the diff, but some people have had problems getting that to happen. Check with your dealer. If you can find a history for this discussion group (maybe on Google groups?), you can read hundreds of posts about it.

Bill

JM wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

Thanks Bill!!

Reply to
JM

Ford paid for mine to be rebuilt ('03, 30k miles) and gave me a loner to drive. They replaced it one week before the 36 mo. ran out. No problem they just wanted to test it out themselves, of course on the seat I had left printouts from this newsgroup just in case!

Good luck

Reply to
Cedartown Electronics

Look for U-joint loose or broken or differencial broken pinion

Reply to
Granado

I have a 02 with 88K and have had the rear end bearings replaced twice. Thank God I requested the 100K warranty as part of the sale.

Reply to
arnie356