2005 Explorer rear differential whine

I have had my Explorer for two weeks and yesterday I noticed a whine from the rear-end under very light acceleration. Thought it was road noise at first. I crawled under to have a look yesterday and noticed fluid on the outside of the rear differential and some fluid splattered on the spare tire. Took it in to the dealership this morning for some other things and asked then to have a look at it. I am happy to have the warranty.

Anyone else get hoise from the diff on their Explorer? My father-in-law said his `99 made all kinds of noise, but it was just normal on the Ford differential on the Explorer. He said they just can't get it right.

Reply to
Holmbrew

There is a Ford TSB that address this. If the vehicle is under warranty, take it to your dealer and tell him you want the fix described in TSB

05-23-3 REAR AXLE NOISE REPAIR.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Ed,

Thanks for the info. I'll make sure I pass on the info to the dealership. It is probably too much to assume that they will fix it according to the TSB without me prompting them, but hopefully they will.

-Jas> "Holmbrew" wrote in

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

under warranty,

Reply to
Holmbrew

Called the dealership this afternoon and they said there is "something" wrong with the rear diff, but they have not figured out what yet. They said they should have it fix by tomorrow.

So I bought this as a "Certified Pre-owned" Ford, what the helll does that mean if they can acuallly sell me a truck with a broken rear diff. They didn't say anyth> I have had my Explorer for two weeks and yesterday I noticed a whine

Reply to
Holmbrew

Just hear back from the dealer. They will be keep my truck another day and ordering in a replacement ring & pinion. They told me they do the TSB repair first and that works about 90% of the time, but on a test drive the TSB repair got rid of most of the rear-end noise, but not all of it, so the whole thing will be replaced.

Certified pre-owned is a bunch of crap. Granted this is all warranty work, but if they had taken the time to put the vehicle on a lift and inspect it they would have seen fluid escaping from the rear diff and that should have either not passed the CPO inspection or been fixed before it his the lot.

Holmbrew wrote:

Reply to
Holmbrew

I think most "Certified Pre-Owned" used cars are just a "come on" employed by dealers to convince you that their used cars are special and therefore can be priced higher. I am suspicious of any used car on a dealers lot that is only a year old. I can think of a few reasons why a dealer might have a one year old car - 1) it was a lemon that the dealer took back to avoid having it branded as a lemon, 2) it was a lemon that a Customer traded in without telling the dealer it was a lemon, 3) the dealer picked it up at an auction (and it was at the auction because of reasons 1 or 2), 4) it was a rental unit, 5) it was a "demonstrator" that the dealer, another employee, the dealer's wife, or someone connected to the dealership used for a year,

6) it was traded in my someone who gets a new vehicle every year, 7) it was a program car - one that a Ford employee used for a year, 8) it was a repo. Cars traded for reasons 6 and 7 are OK, for reason 6 is probably OK, for reasons 4 and 8 may be OK, but I'd hate to get a car that was on the lot for reasons 1, 2, or 3. And I personally know of at least one VW Passat that is on a lot for reason 1.

If I don't know who owned the car before me, I am suspicious of the car. I have bought "almost new" used cars from dealer twice in my life and they have been OK, but the savings have not been all that great and I doubt the wisdom of buying a car this way. I think it is much better to buy a used car from the prior owner before it passes through a dealer. The only problem is convincing the prior owner that the KBB Retail Price is a total fantasy, that dealers lie about trade in value, and that their used car is not "special." The silliest thing I see people do is buy a car from CARMAX (or similar places). I've bought new cars for less than they are selling used version of the same model. My ex bought my older Son a used Accord last year for more than I paid for a new Mustang for my other Son (and they have similar equipment - well actually the Mustang has better equipment). At CARMAX, no hassle pricing means, we're screwing you and it really isn't a hassle for us.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...