Rear axle/differential whine TSB

I've noticed that there are a few posts here about a whining noise that seems to come from the rear differential. My 2002 XLT 4.0 seems to have
this same problem that you can only hear under acceleration around 45-55 mph.
I have seen on the NHTSA website that there are some TSB's about the problem, but ALLDATA's website doesn't list them as available to get the whole content. Does anyone out there know about the bulletins? I think the most relevant one would be #17736. I would appreciate any information someone could share.
Thanks.
The reason you don't see any TSB's on ALLDATA is there have been none issued on this topic. The #17736 you refer to is a special service message, and it concerns rear axle noise in 2002-04 Explorer 4dr and 2003-04 Aviators with 3.73 axle. It instructs the dealer to evaluate the intensity of the whine and replace the entire rear axle assembly if the noise level is unacceptable. Effective date of this message is 4/23/04.
I have been reading posts about this problem for some time. Last week, I rented a 2004 XLT with 19,000 miles. The rear axle whine was totally unacceptable at around 55 mph. Most posts say that Ford has been unable to fix the problem, meaning that it is a design problem. I am in the market for a replacement for my '99 EB, but will not buy a new Explorer if the vehicle is likely to develop an unfixable problem as annoying as this.
On 31 Jul 2004 02:26:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DriveSpy) wrote:

The downside of looking for TSBs is that these are a small part of the information available...... SSMs (special service messages), broadcast messages and FSAs (field service actions) are often missed by TSB geared lists.
Additionally, if you purchased your car from the vendor with the lowest price, you will very likely receive inferior service. This will drive you to another dealer who WILL offer inferior service because you didn't purchase your car from him/her.
There is an SSM that covers the rear axle whine... part of the procedure is a revised fluid level spec which will have KwikeeLoob draining about $20 worth of synthetic gear oil into a bucket and saying they "fixed" a "problem"
(DriveSpy) wrote:

issued on

with 3.73

Jim - Thanks for the information. I bought a new 05 Limited yesterday, for delivery in early September (scheduled for build 8/23). So, my '99 will go to our son and his '92 will be sold.
On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 06:30:43 GMT, "Jim Warman"

This is a bunk statement. Dealers LOVE warranty work. Ford pays them based on how long the job should take according to them. 90% of the time, the dealership can perform the job in much less time and they make even more money.
For example, if Ford decides a specific repair should take 2 hours to perform, the dealership is reimbursed the hourly rate of 2 hours. If the dealership was able to perform the repair in 1 hour, they still get paid for 2. It's been this way for years - and not just with Ford.
I should clarify that dealerships love warranty work that falls under the 3/36 factory warranty. Extended warranty work is the burdon of the dealership that sold it to you.

Add the '02 Mountaineer to the list. My Mountaineer (35K miles) had the whining noise coming from the rear axle. The Mercury dealer fixed it by replacing the "2 pitted rear axle bearings" ($680 job covered under factory warranty). The new parts are good for another 12Mths/12K miles ... Now my SUV runs smooth&quiet. HV-ClearLake,TX
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DriveSpy) wrote in message

Also add my 04 Explorer with 8K miles. The whine showed up at 4K and accorning to my dealer usually apperas at 4 to 6 K.
They have a new rear axle on order for me and say they have replaced about 12 so far. The dealer says Ford has never told them what the cause of the problem is.
This vehicle was built in Jan of 04.

issued on> this topic. The #17736 you refer to is a special service message, and it

with 3.73> axle. It instructs the dealer to evaluate the intensity of the whine and

unacceptable.
Does your 04 have the limited slip rear end? I have not seen any comments about whether this problem happens more with regular or limited slip.

No - regular rear end.

the
Mine too developed that problem. Brand new 2004 Ford Explorer XLT limited slip axel that came with the class III tow package. Developed whine at 4800 miles. Dealer is replacing the differential and said to come back when the parts arrive. It sounds like slack or wear in the rear end. Sound pitch starts low at 35 and gets higher pitch until it blends in with freeway noises and normal tire noise at 75MPH. When you take the acceleration off and almost coast, the whine sounds louder, especially mid speeds between 40 and 55. I am not happy with the car because of this. Sounds like Ford knows about this problem and is hiding it. The immediate replacement under warrenty probably wont fix it for very long. Is there a permanent fix? snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
Just dropped off my Explorer at the dealership and they called to say that they are replacing the rear axle because that is what Ford instructed them to do. Hopefully I will get an explanation when I pick it up.

I have an '04 Eddie Bauer w/3.73 Limited Slip rear end. Purchased it last April. It now has 5300 miles. Last week I started to notice a slight rear end whine. Took it into the dealer today-took a tech for a drive-he heard the sound. They immediately orderd a complete rear axle. I'll report back after it's installed and I put another 5 or 10 k on it.
At least I'm getting GOOD service!!!!!
They replaced the rear in my 02 Explorer TWICE. The noise was still there. They just can't fix the damn thing. I had an appointment with a Ford engineer at the dealer after that and he never showed up. I give up. Ford wins. I'm getting rid of it. This is one miserable mess of an experience with a car.