91-94 Explorer center console

Looking to replace or mod the stock center console for my 92 explorer sport. She is a 5speed, and when im in 2nd or reverse the stick hits cups or cans that are in the cup holder. Large drinks from fast food joints completely block the shift. Anyone know of any console replacements or any mods i should look into to make this not so irritating?

Reply to
Christopher Guidry

This may sound like an odd conclusion.... It is highly doubtful that the console has changed it's shape or position over the years... however, the shift mechanism does have bushings and such that can wear... I would suggest ensuring that the shift mechanism is in decent shape before monkeying with anything else....

Reply to
<mechanic

The transmission was rebuilt about a month ago. The only thing i didn't replace on it is the stick and boot. The shift knob is even new.

Reply to
Christopher Guidry

Actually, the problem is built into the Ford Explorer by design. There is interference with the stick shift and cup holder by design. In fact, I laughed when I read my owner's manual and it said that the cup holder should not be used if you have a 5 speed manual transmission.

Oh, quality is job one, isn't it?

Reply to
Tommy Wood

That just made me laugh a little too. Guess i could always head to the pick-n-pull after take down some measurements and seeing if any other vehicles are similar. Thanks anyways fellas

Reply to
Christopher Guidry