92 explorer sport emitting soot from tailpipe

i installed new plugs and wires for a simple missing problem.a few days later the check engine light came on.also,there was soot coming from tailpipe-fuel economy went wild. I changed mafs;checked tps;and other related sensors.i had it hook-up to code finder at parts store and was told my computer was not putting out any codes or not working correctly. can anyone tell me what is going on.

Reply to
umeangene

Not knowing what spam... errrr, scan tool was used, I'll bet that the test was totally incomplete. Two areas to consider, all the same, would be the EVAP system and the fuel pressure regulator. Many things can drive a system lean... very few can drive it rich.

Reply to
Jim Warman

thank you,thank you,Jim Warman-the mechanic for your advice on explorer running too rich. The Pressure regulator valve was terribly malfunctioning- the pressure was up to 100+ lbs. the EVAP valve in tank is not working as manual describe. BUT,the pressure came down to 30 lbs with new pressure regulator. AGAIN - THANK YOU!!

Reply to
umeangene