93 XLT Overheating

My 93 XLT recently overheated sitting in traffic. Pinned the needle with the A/C. I was able to bring the temp down to normal with the heater on full and the hood open to the first notch.

I replaced the thermostat and top hose (easy since I was already there), but recently had the same problem with the car sitting in my driveway with the A/C on for about 18 minutes. I did notice before I started the car that my overflow was low so I was surprised to see fluid on the ground when I returned to the car.

Any thoughts I would appreciated.

Dennis

Reply to
wiaterd

I had the same problem with my 95 at about 160000 miles. The radiator sits behind the AC condenser blocking the view of the radiator from the front. I took the radiator out and found it was clogged with dirt, dog hair, you name it. After cleaning it up the overheating problem went away. However at about 195000 miles the radiator started to leak. For $130 I replaced with a new radiator and have had no problems. I now have 235000 miles and use the Explorer exclusively for hauling and camping. Just got back from a in the mountains mountain bike trip this last weekend and the Explorer ran without problems. Mark

Reply to
Mark Barrett

Reply to
Captian Coleman

I have gone through a similar situating of overheating when not moving. In my case it was the fan clutch that was not engaging and so there was insufficient air flow unless the truck was moving along.

Charlie (92 XLT)

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Well, I just had this happen to me about 4 months ago on my 95 XLT with 130K. The problem.......Head Gasket. My antifreeze was leaking externally and the culprit was the dreaded head gasket. $1,300 later, everything fine.

Good Luck. Matt

Reply to
Matt Schumacker

I agree with this poster. Most likely, the fan clutch isn't engaging the fan well enough to keep the radiator cool. Also, while you're in there, you might as well pull the radiator and clean out the mess that accumulates in front of the radiator.

Reply to
Tommy Wood