'95 Explorer has Burning Smell by Front Drivers Side...

Hello Ford Explorer Enthusiasts,

As noted in the subject line above, my '95 Ford Explorer Sport w/ 62K miles gives off a burning smell when the engine is warm. The smell is definitely coming from the drivers side, and in the front of the vehicle.

I can see no smoke or anything burning.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Reply to
gm

If it smells like burning leaves, it's probably a few of them laying up against the heat sink inside the air duct system. What does it smell like to you? (teen spirit?) ;-)

dave

Reply to
Dave

Hmm...could be anything. Some things I would check:

  • Are you leaking anything onto an exhaust pipe?
  • Did you pick up anything on the road that stuck to the exhaust? One time (in a different car) I ran over a plastic grocery bag, and it melted onto my catalytic converter. Every time the engine warmed up, it stank of burning plastic! I tried, unsucessfully, to scrape it off the converter. Eventually I replaced the converter to get rid of the smell. Now I avoid grocery bags as if they contain explosives.
  • Do you park your Explorer outside? Perhaps an animal used it for a nest, and is now deceased...and fragrant...and contacting the exhaust.

I think that you pretty much have to have a look under there. If you see nothing, start the engine and watch for leaks. Good luck!

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin