Exploder shopping

My '94 EB is getting pretty long in the tooth (195k) so I started looking around at newer ones today. So far, my budget is pointing me toward either a high mileage '02 EB or maybe a loaded XLT. I visited several Ford lots today and came across a very clean '00 EB w/V8 and 61k miles for $12,995. Would I kick myself for not moving up to the independent suspension of the '02's and newer or could I find eternal happiness with a 2000 EB? ;-)

Seriously, what are the major differences moving from '00 to '02? One very odd thing I noticed under the hood was what appeared to be a very crudely attached "heat shield" between the exhaust manifold of this V8 and the AC accumulater (?....the black, vertically mounted cylinder in front of the AC fan housing). It looked so out of place that I was wondering if this was some sort of kludgy effort to keep heat away from the AC components. Has anybody heard of doing this mod? Jim? Anything else to be aware of in the

2000 model year?

dave

Reply to
Dave

You would have to try it yourself, but I've leased a '98, a '00, and now I own an '03 XLT. The only similarity between them is the Ford emblem. The '03, while still a truck feels and handles like a car. When you hit large bumps in the road, the rear end doesn't skip sideways. It's far quieter on a long trip. I could go on and on. Buy the '02

Sy Cohen

Reply to
Sy Cohen

I concur. I just got an '02 XLT and it's a pleasure to drive. My old ride was a '92 Blazer S10, and it was pretty tough on the juevos. Although I haven't driven an '00 or '01, from what I've read the '02 is a completely different beast due to the IRS and the wider stance. The reviews were good enough, for me. I heeded their advice, and I'm glad I did.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I also agree. I leased a '99 XLT, and now an '02 EB, and the '02 is simply much better. My '02 was one of the first built, very early in the production run of an all-new model. It's given me no trouble, aside from a DPFE valve that only made the engine stumble a little, and needed only a ten-minute replacement. The '02 is more stable at high speeds, it feels much more like a car, it's quieter, and the exhaust note with the 4.0 SOHC has a much better sound than the old model.

Reply to
JonnyCab®

Thanks guys....keep the feedback coming. The other thing that was a surprise to me was how much headroom you lose when you get the moonroof option. I really wanted one this time but it left me with barely an inch of room to spare....I'm 6'2", btw.

Here's another wrinkle in this question: If you had identically outfitted (and aged) Explorers and Expeditions, how much difference should there be in price between them on the used market?

Dave

Reply to
Dave