99 ford explorer air bags sensors

My girlfriend lost control of the suv and hit a tree almost center of the suv. Bumper of the suv is badly damaged and the hood of the vehicle buckled. she did have her seat belt on , thank god! she has some bruises, but other than that she was ok. probably in shock. The vehicle was assest by a collision investigator with AAA auto club and they said the car was totaled. However I am just amazed after seeing the pictures and knowing that none of the airbags deployed. Is there something wrong with this? I mean I wish I can post some pictures for everyone to see it. It took me by suprise. why didn't it deploy?

Thank you, Hok

Reply to
HOK

The air bags will not deploy if the major thrust angle of the collision falls outside a fairly narrow "window". If it did, it could deflect the users body at an angle increasing the possibility or severity of injuries.

Reply to
Jim Warman