'99 XLT 4X4

I'm an Explorer newbie, so please treat me gently >).

I recently purchased a '99 XLT 4X4, and am wondering if I should notice a difference in "feel" (engine speed, noise, or whatever) between the "auto" and "4X4 High" selections. The "4X4 Low" selection does produce an expected (I hope) audible shifting noise, and is obviously running in a lower gear. Is it really shifting when commanded, or is it stuck in either the Auto or the High selection. (the light on the dash changes from off to High with the switch action).

Ideas? Consolation?

Thanks Mark Sparge

Reply to
Mark Sparge

The answer is mostly yes....... in 4X4Hi you should notice driveline bind-up on dry pavement - engage 4X4Hi and turn a sharp corner and it should be quite different feeling from the Auto setting.

HTH

Jim Warman