ATTN Jim W -- Does this sound right?

Jim

I have mostly lurked in this group for a long time now, and have come to value your opinion quite highly. Have a situation that I feel needs a second opinion and am hoping you would be willing to share yours.

Situation: 2004 Explorer Limited 4WD V-6 with the Trailer Package (Traction-Lok et al.) Developed a high pitched whine in the rear end at about 30k miles, local dealer R&R'd axle without a question. New axle seems to be OK, but I am getting a strange behavior. On dry pavement, no problems noted. When it's wet outside (and, it does rain occasionally in the Seattle area), if I add a bit more power than usual on takeoff there is a noticeable shudder coming from the rear end. There's a corner near me that has a small incline as you turn right, and climbing up this small hill will cause the shudder to be very noticeable. Seems to disappear at about 20 MPH or so.

Took it in today (a rainy day) and tech said he couldn't duplicate the problem, but supposedly called Ford. They recommended updated software as their thought was that it had to do with the 4WD system, not the axle. Absolutely no effect at all noticed on the way home. I can easily induce the shudder.

Here's my question ... could it be that this shudder in the rear is "normal" for a TractionLok on wet pavement, and therefore what was "bad" was the original axle (never noted this kind of shudder for the 2+ years we've had it, including a LOT of rainy days and even some trips into snow country).

Or, if this kind of shudder is not "normal", should I be more aggressive in taking a tech out for a ride!!

Thanks so much ... I appreciate your time in assisting all in this group, myself included.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Ken... no, it doesn't sound right.... repairing one concern shouldn't leave you with another concern to fill the void. The shudder on corners is remeniscent of a tech neglecting to add friction modifier for the clutch plates (yes, even the 75W90 and the 75W140 both require the modifier). Is your car equipped with IVD and (if it is), does the traction control "active" light come on when the trouble occurs? The wet weather connection has me wondering but, if the clutches are tight, I imagine there could be some abnormal activity going on at the contact patch.

E-mail me your VIN and I can run it through OASIS but the only diff noise concern I recall offhand is the whine. If all else fails, make arrangements with your dealer to take the tech on a short drive when you know you can reproduce the concern.

HTH.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks Jim. I will email that VIN number to you .... and I see I screwed up the model year ... it's a 2002 not a 2004. Fat fingers strike again ...

Thanks so much.

Ken

Reply to
Ken