Battery dead cannot roll car

1999 Explorer FWD auto. The battery is dead. The front of the car is under a shelf so I cannot open the hood. I put it in neutral but it won't roll, seems locked. Is the 4wd system locking the wheels?
Reply to
ed

BTW, it's an Eddy Bauer, 6 cyl.

Reply to
Ed

Maybe the park pawl is stuck. Try rocking it forward and backward to unstick it. I can't think of any other reason it would not move. Also move the shift lever back and forth and leave it in low gear as it's final position while you are trying to move it.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Was the parking brake on? If so it may be slightly stuck (common). Try this, put a 2x4 or some other relatively strong piece of wood under the edge of the tire and try rolling it with that. I do this with the big trucks I work with, it's amazing how easily it is to move a 5 ton truck a couple of feet doing this, considering that two people pushing on the bumper won't even rock it.

Reply to
PeterD

Thanks guys. Nothing like this worked. But I found I had a couple inches between the front bumper and the cement garage wall but no room to work up there. So I give it an easy push with my Mustang and it broke free. The charger is doing its thing now. Thanks again.

Reply to
eddbst