Ford stalls, wont idle

Howdy:

I have a 85 LTD CV, that stalls and wont idle. Its TBI's vacuum-activated, throttle positioner's plunger, can be extended about

1/8" with a MityVac. Is this 1/8" a correct setting? Or, should it move further?

Can anyone tell me how to test the solenoid that controls the vacuum to the positioner? The solenoid has two wires attached to it. Where does the signal(s) that controls the solenoid, originate?

I haven't any manuals or troubleshooting charts for this problem, but I'm hoping that some readers here, have encountered this problem, and are willing to share their solutions.

Thanks TD

Reply to
teamdebus

I'm having trouble reconciling some of your lingo. I would guess you have the VV carb? The variable venturi carb was fantastic up until it stopped being fantastic. I don't know how many hours I've spent trying to figure out what goes wrong with these boogers (probably something that came close to kicking me in the ..... well, kicking me, anyway). Most problems also seemed to affect the cold enrichment - did I mention I have the VV toolkit for sale?

The VOTM solenoid (vacuum operated throttle modulator), IIRC, should be powered whenever the motor is running - sorry, anything I have at home for shop manuals doesn't go older than '92.

My best suggestion is to visit

and check out thedirect replacements...... frustration factor will be virtually nil.

Jim Warman

OK.... the old CFI, I would think then. We didn't see many of these in Canada though I did see it a couple of times on some old Town Cars.

Even with the VOTM in it's 'at rest' position, I would expect the motor to idle. IIRC, the VOTM was used to accomodate additional engine loads such as AC and to open the throttle blades during coast down (to reduce tailpipe emissions). I would suggest double checking the basics..... especially base timing, vacuum leaks and for a faulty EGR valve,

The troubleshooting charts would be part of the shop manual set.... You may be able to mooch one from a friendly dealer but since these are pushing 20 years of age, I would think that most would have been archived (mechanicese for "dumped in that bloody great cardboard box somewhere upstairs/downstairs/in the shed") and not right at hand.

HTH.

Jim Warman

Howdy:

Our CV is back on the road. The old, idle speed screw trick, should keep it running until the new throttle positioner arrives.

TD

Reply to
teamdebus