Ford Sierra Ghia starting problem.

Hi all,

Me motor wont start, I charged the battery and when I turn the ignition all I get is a loud continuous clicking sound, any ideas.

Thanks

Reply to
Post_ID

Flat battery or, more likely, dodgy battery to starter connection.

Reply to
Scott M

the ignition all

connection.

The "Click" is the starter gear engaging with the ring-teeth on the flywheel. The starter solenoid pulls back into itself to engage the starter cog then finally depresses an internal plunger to make the electrical circuit to the starter motor.

Put the headlights on when you try it. If the lights go very dim when the starter is activated its most likely a flat battery (or it could be a internal problem with the battery ... that's another essay in itself!). Assuming the lights do NOT go noticeably dim then the starter motor is not getting the power to turn. Possible causes (in order of ease of checking): Poor battery connections Poor Engine Earth connection Poor connection between Batter +ve and starter (the large red wire) Sticking / knackered Starter solenoid (it can go back but not far enough or with enough "umph" to depress the plunger for the power to the motor itself) Knackered Starter Motor bushes.

There is also the possibly that the starter gear or ring-gear are too worn to engage so the solenoid plunger is unable to travel far enough to activate the starter motor. Try putting it in gear and rocking it on the engine (ignition OFF of course!) then try the starter again. The ring-gear would have moved slightly so the starter may be able to engage if this is the problem)

Check the wiring first. If the problem is in the starter (or solenoid) its probably worth getting a replacement. Scrap yard shouldn't be too expensive but check recon prices first as it may be a false economy. I've tried cleaning sticking solenoids before but with limited success (i.e. they've only lasted a few days before sticking again). Perhaps some knowledgeable types in here can comment on how to clean a solenoid plunger/bore successfully.

Hope that helps, Steve

Reply to
SandS

John

Reply to
Post_ID

No, no, no! Most jump leads should only be used to attempt to charge the battery in situ (which you've, in effect, already done) but using them while cranking is A Bad Thing as you'll probably melt them.

Reply to
Scott M

What? Where on earth did you get that from? Shite jump leads may melt but that's 'cos they're s**te, not because you're cranking.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Yes yes yes, jump start - that's why they are called "jump leads". If your jump leads melt, throw them away and buy some decent ones. I once bought cheap ones, they melted...............decent ones have big strong clips and very thick cables which are awkward to unravel (just like the one which goes from the battery to the starter :-) ).

Reply to
Alan Shilling

Errrr, something to do with stuffing anything up to 200A through something not designed to take it.

Reply to
Scott M

I managed to start a 1.8 Diesel Orion t'other night with s**te jump leads. That said, it did have a touch of juice in it's own battery, and I gave it a minute to build some charge up. IMO s**te jump leads are better than none :P.

Reply to
Doki

Hi "Post_ID"

Duff battery, Faulty wiring between Battery and Starter solenoid, faulty \ seized solenoid, faulty \ seized starter motor, Seized engine or gearbox

Reply to
Steve Sweet

hit the starter with a small hammer to see if you haven't got the starter solenoid stuck you could have a duff battery, or, worst case scenario, the flywheel is fizzucked

Reply to
dojj