get gas from tank to run generator

Has anyone heard of a kit that you can pump gas from your car into gas cans? I live in Florida and when power goes out here, you can't even get gas from the gas stations. Last year I had gas in three five gallon cans and ran out after five days of running the generator on and off three hours at a time. If I could the nineteen gallons out of our explorer, it would sure hel[p. You can't syphon gas out of the tank. Thanks Jay

Reply to
Jay1028

Yes you can...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Some cars and trucks have an anti-siphon check bulb in the tube going from the filler hole to the tank. You can disconnect the tank and siphon from there, but this can be difficult to do.

Reply to
Jim Smith

What you do is remove the gas line at the engine, add your tube to your can and turn the key to start without actually starting the car. You need to power the fuel pump. I haven't tried it but I believe in theory it should work.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Don't forget the pressure is about 40- 50 PSI and without engine running the PCM only let the pump run for a couple of seconds.

Why not buy a universal fuel pump from NAPA and 10 feet of clear,fuel resistant , hose, connect a wire to the pump with a power point connector on the other side

Don't Mickey mouse it together, remember, sparks and gas don't go well together

Reply to
JohanB

Saw this on a highway patrol car one time when I ran out of gas on the turnpike (less than a quarter mile from the gas pumps) :

There was a T fitting in the fuel line, under the hood, where you could reach it easily. The T had a valve on it (don't remember if it was part of the same fitting or another fitting) and a barbed hose connector. He attached 10' of clear plastic hose to the barb, put the other end in my gas tank, opened the valve and let the fuel pump push about a gallon into my tank.

You could duplicate this by getting the fittings, cutting your fuel line, and reassembling this. Should be easy to find the parts, but you want to be sure it's leak free or you'll have a big fire.

Chuck

Jay1028 wrote:

Reply to
cmiles3

Is this universal fuel pump going to pump out gas at high pressure also?

Reply to
Jay1028

Hey, thats a neat idea, (do they still use the word "neat"?)

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Modern day electronic fuel injected automobiles have pre-made high pressure fuel lines, you don't just cut them and clamp barbed fittings into them. You may be able to have some special lines made but that wouldn't be cheap.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Gov Bush signed a bill today that should improve the ability to get gas, many stations will now (?next season?) have generators.. What a concept!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

No, just get a low pressure(10psi) high volume pump

The pump they use for older cars with carburetors will do

Reply to
JohanB