CARFAX Question.

Can someone with a carfax account run a carfax on vin #5DF55$WS@@#...

Sorry, just kidding. Here's the real question:

I bought my car in CA from the original owner. Registered it there under my name. Then moved to TX and registered it here in TX.

CARFAX shows 3 owners for the car. The original owner, myself when I registered it in CA and then myself again when I registered it in TX. Shouldn't it show only 2 owners?

Thanks, zoti

Reply to
zoti

Carfax tells you how many times a title has been issued. You have 3 titles issued to your car.

Reply to
Jim Smith

I know that I have 3 titles but on the carfax report it states 3 owners which is not true.

Reply to
zoti

I'm wondering if 1st owner would have been the dealer to whom the car was first issued.

Manufacture to dealer may constitue "ownership"

Theretically, the car was transferred from factory to dealer.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Reply to
zoti

You answered your own question. It showed one title when you bought it. That equals one owner. When you bought it and titled it in CA that's the second owner. When you titled it in your home state, that's the third owner. Carfax thinks of title changes as change in ownership. Three titles, 3 owners.

Reply to
Jim Smith

So you expected the Carfax computer to figure out that it was you re-registering the car in Texas, just because the name matches? And if the last name matches, but not the first, perhaps to figure out that you have a brother in Texas? Come on!

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Yes. I actually do expect it to understand that people move from state to state and register their car in the new state. It should say that there was a new title issued. Not a new owner (which sounds like someone else bought the car).

Reply to
zoti

Start your own company and you can run it the way you'd like. If not, stop complaining about how someone else runs their business. If you don't like the Car Fax method, then don't use it.

Reply to
Jim Smith

Who broke your blend door?

Reply to
zoti

Why would you expect Car Fax to know that you titled your vehicle in another state? They look at Motor Vehicle records. They do not look at the "NEW" owner's name, nor would these individual names be available from the DMV.

Reply to
Jim Smith

I guess what I would prefer to see on the report is that the vehicle had 3 titles issued to it under 2 different owners. I hope it makes sense.

Reply to
zoti

Apparently carfax equates titles to owners. It does not verify that if title went from John Doe to John Doe that it's the same person. It just assumes a different person with the same name.

Reply to
Zilla