Help! What's this noise I am hearing?

This is on a 2002 Ford Explorer XLS 4x4 4-Door, with a 4.0 Litre SOHC engine.

Just today, I heard a noise, and now it does it every time I backup, turning my wheel almost to the extreme left (counter-clockwise). I hear a "clankety-clank clank" noise coming from my front end.

I strapped a microphone under my hood and recorded it. If anyone has any ideas as to what it might be, I'd really appreciate it.

(285 KB)

Thanks, Tim

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.cox.net

(remove "nospam" to reply by email)

Reply to
Tim

Interesting concept though there is way too much other noise to be sure. First thing coming to mind would be a u-joint or CV joint problem - BUT, would it not be easier to look at stuff instead of jumping through high tech hoops? You,after all, are there and would have to be our eyes as well as our ears in any process that doesn't involve a (paid) third party.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Oh I do understand. I am going to drop it by the dealership first thing Monday morning. Was kinda hoping to get ideas as to what it might be before I "learn the truth" from the "paid technicians", to kind of prepare myself for the worst...

Reply to
Tim

I heard the power steering, what sounds like a lifter, and something banging metal on metal, like a bushing is gone or something and it's jerky. I wonder if he can feel a vibration in the steering wheel at the same time.

| > Just today, I heard a noise, and now it does it every time I backup, | > turning my wheel almost to the extreme left (counter-clockwise). I hear a | > "clankety-clank clank" noise coming from my front end. | >

| > I strapped a microphone under my hood and recorded it. If anyone has any | > ideas as to what it might be, I'd really appreciate it. | >

(285 KB)| >

| > Thanks, | > Tim | >

| > snipped-for-privacy@nospam.cox.net | >

| > (remove "nospam" to reply by email) | >

| |

Reply to
John Riggs

When you take it into the shop, get a written estimate (I have 3 or 4 estimate pads on the go at any given time). You can OK a specific dollar amount at the very start.... anything past that needs a phone call (BE VERY, VERY AVAILABLE - there's nothing that will drive diagnostic costs high more than having to re-assemble something in order to move it out of the bay while waiting for a customer callback).

There's no sense in agonizing over these kinds of things.... it only sets us up for a confrontation rather than a consultation. I realize that you folks in the states appear to be held ransom by many charlatans with little more than a toolbox and the knowledge of where the hood release is, but there are many very good techs down there.

Been saying it for many years.... the cheapest thing we can do with a car is buy it.....

Sorry you had to have troubles just at Xmas..... The really big downside to this trade is that I usually have more bad news for people than good.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Took it to a big parking lot today and drove it around in circles. Going in Drive, turning to the extreme right or left, that noise is not noticed. Going in Reverse and turning to the extreme right, it is not noticed. This is only happening when going in Reverse and turning to the extreme left (I'm saying to "the extreme", but not so far as to where the wheel stops, just short thereof).

I've already made arrangements with a friend to shuttle me to and from work Monday so I can drop it off at the dealership.

Also I've been hearing noise coming from the engine quite often for the last year and a half, at least, thought it was normal engine noise but apparently it's pinging (at 53,210 miles as of today). I took it in for a complete fuel system flush a couple of months ago and the techs noted it was pinging, and said the flush "should" get rid of it. If it's the noise that I am hearing, it didn't make it go away so I'm going to have them look into that as well.

*wonder what's wrong now*

Thanks for the responses all

Tim

Reply to
Tim

How interesting this week has been, and it's only Tuesday.

The noise I was hearing, at least claimed by the dealership, was the inner-shield of the front left fender well, it had "come loose" and was rubbing against my tire.

Ok, so that's fixed.

Decided to see what this engine noise was as well. Had my fuel system serviced a while back, tech's noted it was pinging, so they said this should get rid of it. The only noise I've heard from the engine has been with it for almost 2 years and I figured it was a normal sound of the engine.

But I heard it after the fuel system service, so I decided to have them look into it as well. They got it to reproduce the noise, and they say it's a knocking or engine clatter noise. They called Ford's hotline and narrowed it down to the timing chain. So, they are going to replace the timing chain, jackshaft tensioner, and the timing chain guides. They are keeping it for a couple of days to do this (and they needed my authorization to tear down my vehicle, that kinda freaked me out).

I wonder if this problem has anything to do with my transmission going out at 19000 miles... I was driving in 11 degree weather and it went out on me, and I recall my RPM's being in the red.... 6000 to 6500 RPM's and I was barely going 15 miles per hour... then smoke came inside the compartment and I stopped completely and called for a tow truck. I don't recall hearing this noise before this time, so I wonder if that was the catalyst...

Reply to
Tim

I very seriously doubt it. There's no connection between the timing chain and the tranny.

Reply to
Big Bill