Lincoln Aviator

So, I just totaled my 1997 Explorer XLT. I'm in the market for a new car. I noticed the Lincoln Aviator, they are very luxurious and have a powerful V-8 engine. I have heard that they are horrible on gas, and that Lincoln announced they would not continue the Aviator family in 2006. Does anyone know, or possibly own one? Please provide feedback, word of mouth, and comments. Thank you greatly.

Reply to
Justin Keller

I purchased a 2003 Aviator. My comments:

The heated/cooled seats are nice.

The radio is ugly, but hides behind a door so you can ignore it and control with wheel controls.

Odd that the seat back isn't powered (thus not part of the memory).

Engine is very powerful. I get about 13.5 Mpg with mixed driving.

The sunglass case is badly designed, the felt cover of the metal spring slides when hot and hen when it cools the glue sticks to the plastic container. It also appears very cheap (buddies Hyundai has a nicer sunglass case). I've had this replaced once already.

The satin finish on the center console is easily scratched.

I've had a mechanical problem since 1500 miles. Whine from the transmission. The dealer has been helpful working with Ford on a resolution, but it is taking forever. They swapped out the rear end but that didn't resolve it. The dealer tech says it is the transmission, ford tech says it is normal. The service manager is working to resolve it.

Other than the whine, I really enjoy driving this truck. I had drove the Explorer and the Mountaineer and didn't like them much. I was not planning on purchasing an Aviator, but after test driving it... Well, it as very nice.

There are other luxury SUVs in the same price range. Many may be better value. The Acura MDX for instance. I bought the Aviator 'cause of the powerful engine, larger size, 3rd row rear seat, cash back + 0% finance also made the deal more attractive than the competition.

Reply to
Rupa Schomaker

Would you mind sharing how much you paid and what options you got? Did you get the HID upgrade? Do you happen to know if they use a projector or just a reflector in their HID system? Does it look bright? It's a little disconcerting that you have transmission problems already. Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate it.

-- --

Just>

Reply to
Justin Keller

Good Grief! I get that with my 5,4l Expedition 4x4 with mixed driving. You must *USE* that power! :-)

Reply to
Bill Funk

I gotta think that a loaded Expedition would be cheaper than a bare bones aviator, anyway.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

I averaged over 14.5 in my 1997 4x4 5.4L Expedition. My 2003 is doing over 15. I cannot imagine how you get the Aviator as low as 13.5 unless you have a serious lead foot.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Oue Expy isn't an EB, it's an XLT, but with some extras. Out the door, it was a tick over $30K, cash.

Reply to
Bill Funk

I definitely have a lead foot, but even so. The mileage is pretty bad.

Reply to
Rupa Schomaker

Sure. I purchased the Aviator with the "Premium" RWD package. That includes the upgraded stereo (6-disc in-dash changer, subwoofer in the rear), heated/cooled seats, fancier wheels, and HID headlamps. I chose a bench second row seat. I did not get any other options (no sunroof, no towing package, etc). I paid around 39K. (minus cash back

  • 0% finance)

You can get a ford labeled SUV for significantly less (or get more for your money). The Ford is definitely the better value.

I bought the Aviator over a Explorer or Mountaineer because I much preferred the Lincoln interior and the higher performance engine. I also wasn't looking at a Ford and then elected to purchased the Lincoln. I was comparing it to the Acura MDX, Infinity QX4, VW Taurag, etc.

I had HIDs on the Infinity QX4 that I had prior to this. I would say the brightness is similar -- definitely brighter than my Acura's halogens. I'm not sure if it is projector or reflector -- how would I?

Yup. The more upsetting part for me is the time it is taking to get it resolved. A sample of 1 can't tell you if this is a pervasive problem. I think it is the same transmission as used in the Ford Explorer -- I would not expect that the Ford would have similar problems with the transmission as the Lincoln. If the transmission were a problem, we would have more people screaming about it on this group.

BTW: You mention gas mileage in your original question. Beware, not only does it get bad gas mileage, but it also requires premium. I haven't tried it on mid-grade (I buy gas at Costco where they sell only 89 and 94) to see if it behaves differently. Just something to be aware of. I've had to use premium on my Infinity and my Acura so it wasn't such a big deal. If you are used to paying for regular be prepared to pay more...

Reply to
Rupa Schomaker