Mileage down

I used to get high 18s in my 2001 Explorer Sport. I am down to low

16mpg?

4.0 V6

84,000 miles

Any ideas what to look at?

Thanks

Reply to
The Wolf

Spark plugs/wires-MAYBE/ Air cleaner/ Air pressure in tires/ Alignment/off by just a fraction could mean the difference of tires straight on the road or dragging sideways 1/8 of every mile.

Just a few but these are th emain culprits of lowered gas mileage. You didn't say if you have a check engine light on or not.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher1

Reply to
The Wolf

Plugs and or wires would be my best guess then. THey are Platinum plugs and they should last 100 000, but I changed mine at 50000/ You may not like hearing this but I have a 97 Explorer 4.0 sohc with 97000. I get 19/21 city and almost 23/24 highway. "Brother, it ain't no joke". I always did get pretty good gas mileage and I have always used 87 octane, but the "secret" is the oil and filter (as far as I'm concerned that is) I use Mobile One oil and a K&N oil filter.LIke I said I changed my plugs at 50 and I have cleaned them since. Every month I will put in one bottle of 104 octane ( I feel ) It does a good job of keeping the system cleaner. I also (like you) am religious about maintenance, tires/pressure/align, ETC.

A sensor could be going up (I think, don't hold me to this) and that might cause a drop in mileage, But chasing it down is like finding hens teeth, until it goes completely or enough to trigger a DTC.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher1

Don't forget to check the thermostat. If the engine isn't heating up properly, you'll run rich all the time.

Reply to
Ed Mann

Any tips for getting the rear plug on the passenger side? It looks like a bear. I have a hight quality torque wrench.

So plugs and wires will be next.

I did a cross counry trip couple of years ago and the best I got was

20mph.

V-6 4.0 SOHC

Searcher1 wrote:

Reply to
The Wolf

I've read that you can take off the passenger front wheel and the inside wheel-well cover and get it from there. Haven't tried it yet but it is due on my 98 so post back if you figured it out.

Reply to
Al Williams

Just did this job. A long extension through the passenger wheel well can get it done for you. (I did not remove the wheel just a hard left turn before I shut it off..) I did use a swivel next to the socket however. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Als

Did you go from regular unleaded to a 90/10 blend ethanol? You will get better mileage with plain unleaded, but around here it's 10 cents/gal more. wth

Reply to
wth

Reply to
The Wolf