Never used 4wd, can I remove the axle?

I have a 4WD 97 Explorer. My 'clunk' has been diagnosed as play in the front differential. $1800.

I never knowingly have used 4wd.

Can I simply remove the front drive shaft and continue driving?

Reply to
Michael Horowitz

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ First, the price you were quoted is probably for a replacement differential. A transmission shop should be able to rebuild -- replace worn parts for a whole lot less than $1800. Plus, if you are OK with tools, you should be able to find a used differential at a salvage yard for a BUNCH less than the price you were quoted.

Please understand -- I've never tried it, but I see no reason why you couldn't run without the front driveshaft, but if the clunk is in the differential, it'll still be there without the driveshaft. The front wheels drive the differential continuously -- it's a shift in the transfer case that engages 4-wheel drive.

On the other hand, if the clunk is in worn U-joints, then removing the driveshaft is at least worth a try.

Anybody else want to chime in here?

Good Luck, Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

Is this a part time 4 WD system? If the hubs are free and the transfer case is in 2 WD, the front drive shafts and differential aren't engaged and wouldn't be turning or clunking. Does it clunk in 2 WD with the hubs free?

Reply to
Bob