O/D light Flashing

Hi: I own a 1997 Explorer 4wd xlt. At certain times the overdrive light on the dash will begin flashing then awhile later it goes off. Does anyone know what will be causing this? Is it a major problem?

Reply to
Judester4

The TCIL will flash if the PCM detects a concern in certain transmission related sensors or solenoids. Could not find a good list of reasons the TCIL will flash. But one is TCC slippage which would also set code P1744 or P0741, not good. My daughter had this same problem with her F250 Diesel and the transmission went out. Big bucks. Good luck - Jerry

Reply to
Gerald Riggs

I have the same problem in my 96 XLT. I had the codes read and they came back with a code 647. A slip in the torque converter. When the light comes on I disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and reset the computer, that gets rid of the light, but I will be getting a new torque converter put in. Hopefully thats all that is wrong. Check out this website for more info.

Hope that helps. David

Reply to
telfeetau