O/D Off light malfunction - '96 AWD V8

About 3 months ago my OD cancel light went out. I finally stopped by dealer for a replacement bulb. Yesterday I got to the back of gauge cluster and then discovered the dealer had sold me the wrong bulb. Not a total loss...I notice there were the 4WD status bulbs in place for a V6 model that obviously aren't used with the V8 AWD model. Well I tried both of the bulbs and none bring back my OD light.

-I tested old bulb with continuity meter and the old bulb is bad.

-Both of the other bulbs I have tested good with meter

-Cleaned up electrical contacts on gauge cluster and even roughed them up a little on spare bulbs to rule out a bad connection at the board/bulb level. No go.

Do I simply have bad gauge cluster? Anyone have any thoughts on other areas to check where the light connection may be broken? It's strange the old bulb is out...it's almost like something shorted it out I guess since new bulbs will no longer work as well. I don't have an electrical schematic.

Everything else in my gauge cluster lights up and works perfectly. At least I hope so..once I get it all put back together. :-)

Thanks!

Jon

'96 XLT AWD V8

Reply to
Jon Miller

Well...put everything back together again and light works. Something got connected or a missing ground was re-attached. Nonetheless I am now a happy camper.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Miller