Brake light malfunction

My amber brake light failure light keeps illuminating (comes on after pressing the brake petal) even though the brake lights are working normally. Just to be sure I replaced them but the warning light continues to come on. Could it be a ground or the sensor? Any ideas?

Reply to
jclare799

have you checked the brake fluid level for the master cylinder in the engine compartment? if you don't know what I'm referring to, might be time to take your car in for a brake inspection. brake linings may be low and need replacing.

Reply to
: P

The warning light for low brake fluid is red, not amber.

Reply to
Ray O

Check the center high mounted stop lamp bulbs, license plate bulbs, and turn signal bulbs.

You did not mention the year and model vehicle, whether there is a trailer light kit installed, and whether the vehicle has ever been in an accident. This information would be helpful if the all of the bulbs I listed above are working.

Let us know what you find.

Reply to
Ray O

There is a trailer light kit installed which I periodically use. No problem using it, everything works fine. There was rear end collision damage 4 years ago which was repaired. All bulbs are working fine. Light came on for the first time 4 days ago.

Reply to
jclare799

Model year and model? Did you check to make sure all of the CHMSL bulbs and both license plate bulbs are working? Those are the bulbs that people often miss. Have someone depress the brake pedal while you check. Also check the wiring to make sure it is not pinched where it goes past hinges or hatches, that the tail light ground screw(s) is not loose, that bulb sockets are not corroded, and that the proper wattage bulbs are installed.

I mentioned the trailer light kit because there is a TSB regarding that problem. Is the trailer light kit OEM or aftermarket?

Reply to
Ray O

My car was doing that once and awhile from a corroded connection on the ground side in one of the tail lights connections.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

Dah. You were right. I overlooked the rear window mounted brake light - it was out. I replaced the bulb and the light is now off. Sometimes it is the simple things. J

Reply to
jclare799

Thanks for the update! There are not that many things that can make the warning light come on, and the CHMSL is the one missed most often.

Reply to
Ray O