Rear Door Handles - '03 XLT

Is there any way I can make the rear interior door handles open the door when it's locked? The front doors do this, and I'd like the back doors to do the same. The Child-Proof switch doesn't do this. Couldn't find anything about it in the owners manual.

Thanks!

Reply to
Donald Roeber

If yours is like my 02 SuperCrew (and I have no reason to doubt that it is....) - the child proof setting is to keep the rear door from opening (via the inside handle) when the door is unlocked...... the default (or off position) requires the lock button to be lifted manually which then allows the door to be opened from the inside.

Sad to say, but there is that portion of society that has made the manufacturers consider law-suit driven technology and method that can be inconvenient to the rest of us. If (and this is a big IF) I get the chance to change mine ( my 'child' is 15 and oughta know better), I'll post the fix here. Bear in mind that, if this happens, it behooves the selleer to mention the alteration on the bill of sale when the car is disposed of. With the frivolous law suits we are seeing, I envision this as one of many bones of contention in the future.

Jim Warman

Thats what I thought. Thanks for your help Jim. Gotta love stupid things like this. I wonder what the emergency behavior is for the door handles; if my Explorer ends up in a river, do I still need to hit the Unlock button to allow the people in the back seat get out?

Reply to
Donald Roeber

If one is unfortunate enough to find out that his car makes a better submarine than boat, one will either roll the windows down or wait until the pressure inside the car equalizes with the pressure outside the car..... Even though the car isn't very far under the surface the higher pressure spread over the large surface of the door will make it impossible to open.

YMMV

Jim Warman