2014 Forester back door release

The back door automatic release doesn't always work...I've never been able to open it with the button located on the dash. Lately, it has also failed to open when I've utilized the keyfob after the car has stopped and been turned off. I've gone to the rear of the vehicle and pressed the outside entry button...I hear 3 beeps and nothing happens. I press the button on the door and nothing happens. I have then locked and unlocked the doors and tried again to initiate the automatic opening of the back door. I hear another 3 beeps and nothing happens.

I've looked through the manual and can't find anything that helps me with this problem. Please note that my Forester has all the bells and whistles. I wonder if it needs to be reprogrammed. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Barbara

I've had my 2014 Forester Touring for 10 days and I experienced the same problem two days ago. The rear liftgate will now only open manually. There is a "reset" process that may work, although it didn't work for me. It can be found in this TSB:

We're not the only ones having this problem. I suspect a sensor issue with mine and possibly yours but that will be for the dealer to determine. If you can get the reset process to work for you, great. If not, then I guess you'll be headed back to the dealer like I will. Other than this, I am very happy with my new Forester.

"Barbara" wrote in message news:74795$52cc6f09$42bb6765$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com...

Reply to
PAS

I have the same problem. I've taken my forrester 2014 to my dealer 5 times since I bought it for the same issue with the trunk won't open. They replaced the motor and the sensor and now it's happening again. Taken it to the dealer again.

Reply to
bassgarden

I've been having the same problem since I bought my Forester in March 2013. The dealer has told me that everyone with one of the new Foresters with a power rear hatch is having this problem.

Usually it will reset itself if I wait 10 minutes or more. But you also can reset it by taking off one of the battery cables and then reattaching it. I keep a wrench the right size in the console.

Reply to
Kent

> We're not the only ones having this problem. I suspect a sensor issue with > mine and possibly yours but that will be for the dealer to determine. If > you can get the reset process to work for you, great. If not, then I guess > you'll be headed back to the dealer like I will. Other than this, I am very

Thanks for the link to the bulletin. Steps 1-3 did not solve the problem, probably because the hatch would not completely close by itself during the last step. However, the next steps of disconnecting both battery cables from the battery and touching them together did work and the system is back to normal for my Subaru Forester 2.5 Touring.

According to the bulletin, the problem occurs when there is a power surge prior to the rear gate closing completely - such as when you start the car prior to the gate closing - which prevents the remote power gate function from properly re-initializing.

As an aside, manually opening the hatch from the inside was accomplished fairly easily by following the owner's manual on page 9-17. It was simply a matter of removing the plastic cover to the interior mechanism with a screw driver and using the screw driver to push the lever to the right as shown in the illustration.

Thank you again, this saved me a trip to the dealer.

Reply to
hpbandit

replying to Barbara, Vinny wrote: The same think just happened to me on my 2014 Forester. I ave tried everything, nothing works. I have to open the rear gate manually.

Reply to
Vinny

replying to PAS, dark knight wrote: I also have a 2014 forester and I resolved my tailgate problem by taking off both terminals off the battery and put them together I'm trying to short circuit the computer then it will reset problem solved

Reply to
dark knight

I just took our 2014 Forester to the dealer. He found that the mat covering the back had slipped back slightly and was interfering with the sensor. As soon as he pushed the mat forward, the automatic door open worked fine again. Less than 5 minutes.

Reply to
ps6440

From a technical service bulletin regarding the 2014 Subaru's:

If you receive a customer concern of a ?beep- beep-beep? so und when trying to operate the PRG, a likely cause is an incomplete initial ization procedure. Repair Procedure:

With the ignition ?OFF?, open the PRG manually using a flui d motion (no light flash or beep should occur). Carefully (slowly) close the rear gate until the first audible ?cli ck? of the rear gate latch mechanism is heard then immediately let go of the rear gate. The auto closer function will then operate to complete the rear gate closing / latching function. This will also complete the ini tialization process. If the auto closer function is inoperative, diagnose p er the applicable Service Manual. After the PRG is fully closed, operate either the Gate Opener switch, the G ate Inner (close) switch, remote keyless access switch or the Interior PRG Open/Close switch to verify the automatic opening and closing operation. If the PRG inoperative condition persists, record the radio station presets (and navigation system favorites, if applicable). IMPORTANT: Record any codes currently in PRG memory as the next step will c lear them. 6. Disconnect the positive and negative cables from the vehicle ?s battery, touch the 2 cable ends together creating a capacitive d ischarge which will clear the memory. Reconnect the cables to the battery, reset all radio presets (and navigatio n favorites, if applicable) then confirm normal PRG operation.

Reply to
dbruins3687

replying to Vinny, MK2014 wrote: How do you open rear gate manually for 2014 Subaru Forester ?

Reply to
MK2014