Remote engine starter kit. Opinions please.

Hello. I live in Florida and a remote starter kit would be nice for those hot summer days. Please advise me with the safety features and brand names and difficulty level of installation. Thanks in advance. AbitRip

Never Forget

AbitRip

The absolute easiest one to install that I have seen is the Bulldog Security Systems module. A good friend of mine rarely has good experiences with things electrical.... IIRC, most of the pertinent connections can be made with the optional piggyback connector. These require that a spare key be mounted in a separate PATs interface module - however, I think that it wouldn't be hard to make this system work with Alarm Code/Ford PATs interface module.

A personal favourite for many years was the DesignTec AutoCammand.... I haven't had the opportunity (I'm not really sure if there isn't a better word) to install one of these in a PATs equipped vehicle.

I installed the Alarm Code new style silver in my '02 SuperCrew..... a lesson in frustration if there ever was one. Difficult to program as well.

All three are fairly comparable in safety/convenience features....... In my experience, the DesignTec had the best transmitter range but the last unit of this brand I purchased was something like 8 years ago.

I do know that DesignTec and Bulldog have websites but I'm not entirely sure about Alarm Code..... Sorry, I'm on a dial-up this week so I can't help (or wont, anyones choice) with a search but you can play with Google a bit and find either quite easily.

As always, if you are attempting to install one of these units yourself, be absolutely sure that you are accessing the correct wire (and there's no shortage of those under modern dashboards) and make sure that all connections are soldered and adequately insulated.

Jim Warman