Spark plug gapping question

I'm trying to help my brother put new plugs and wires in his 1992 Explorer XLT, and for the life of me I cant find the manual or any info on the net on how much to gap the new spark plugs. If anyone can help me with this it will be much appreciated

Reply to
Bhuge

On my 1993 truck, there is a white placard next to the hood latch (open the hood). It lists the plug type and gap and also shows the routing for the serpentine belt.

Reply to
Tommy Wood

I can't remember the last time I bought a plug that wasn't pre-gapped correctly. The days when you were expected to set the gap differently from the gap the plug was designed for are gone for the most part. If all the plugs are gapped the same, you can be pretty sure they are already at the correct gap.

YMMV.

Reply to
Mark Olson

Well.... dont I feel like a complete idiot. Thank you very much. its right there when I opened the hood. Im going to go hang my head in shame and take of those plugs. Thanks again

Reply to
Bhuge

Don't feel too bad. I've had two Explorers for years and last week I spend half an hour trying to find the spark plug info in my Hayne's manual. Then I opened the hood.

This is what happens when you use platinum plugs and it may be years before they get changed.

Reply to
Ulysses

I think it's .050"

Reply to
Eric F

the gap is .060 And no, they do not come pre-gapped

Reply to
raticus