10W40 in 5W30 application - What problems?

I just found some old receipts and realized that the quick lube place put _10W40_ in my 98 Escort. All my tapping problems started after this date. (Fortunately no cold weather). This engine was originally speced for 5W30, though Ford later recanted and told people to use 5W20.

What are the potential problems from about 6000 miles of driving with the wrong oil as above?

Thanks.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

As long as the oil was of the correct service rating, or better, 6000 miles of 10W40 instead of 5W30 is not going to hurt anything, especially given that there was no cold weather involved.

What sort of tapping problems are you having?

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

Good :) Of course, they also used the world's cheapest known filter, when I took it out I found that the paper element inside had blown out in a couple of places. They also turned the drain plug into a pan-head coach bolt, but that's a separate story.

(I don't normally change my own oil, except on my old truck, but I have been trying to look into this car's problems).

Well, there are really three issues with the car; I posted about them a bit earlier in this group.

  1. An injector problem. I'm going to fix that this weekend. When that particular injector is rotated, the engine misses. Doesn't appear to be an electrical issue.
  2. A tapping in the general area of the head. It sounds like a frayed belt, or possibly exhaust escaping from a stuck valve.
  3. Potentially (this is the same as #2) a known problem with the 2.0L engine (inter alia), where #1 and/or 3 valve seats loosen and eventually drop out.
Reply to
zwsdotcom

Could be bad in very cold weather. I was recently told by my Chrysler dealer that the Chrysler 2.7L V6 AL engine has severe weather reliability problems when 10W30 oil is used rather than 5W30. If you are in the UK I doubt you have the severe weather we in NA are referring to.

Reply to
who

Reply to
zwsdotcom

I just came across this article the other day, it pretty much says that as long as you get occassionally get oil of some sort into your engine your car will be fine.

petebert