2000 ford focus hesitation on hills...check the spark plug cabels!

Thought would pass this on.. Our 2000 Focus with 75,000 miles on the clock has been down on power and would misfire and hesitate going up hills...plus it ran a little rough. Recently I pulled off the spark plug cables and measured them with a volt-ohm meter. All of the cables except the last one I checked read about

1.4-1.7 kohms resistance...but the last one read about 20 kohms resistance. Further exhamination of the cable indicated corrosion on the cap that connects to the ignition module. Replacement of all the cables..with good ones..restored engine performace back to snuff.
Reply to
Denton

Good work and thanks for sharing.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

We see this on the Focus newsgroup all the time. Somebody comes on and says they bought a 5 years old Focus and it runs like s**t, lousy power, burns more gas than their Bronco etc. When someone asks when was the last time the poor beast had a tune-up the answer comes back "duh, I thought cars these days didn't need tune-ups".

Cars these days don't need the timing and mixture adjusted, but they do need periodic replacement of spark plugs and wires, fuel and air filters, clean the intake and injectors, check the operation of the thermostat (incorrect running temp can spoil how the engine works) etc.

Reply to
Dave Gower