2005 Ford Paint began falling off rusting under 3 years

My 2005 Ford explorer began rusting prior to the warranty expiration and I cant get ford to repair it. If you are intersted, go to the following website:

I took a few pictures and have posted them for others to see. I have had 4 Fords, and after the treatment I have received from Dealers and Ford Corporate, this is probably my last Ford.

Reply to
MrMoto

That sucks! I'm in the middle of going thru it myself right now. I got an 06 Mustang and there is a TSB out for blistering paint on the aluminum hood. They are trying to bust my chops right now because I am 3months and 9k miles out of the bumper to bumper warranty. Sad thing is that I did buy the extended factory warranty on the (Ford ESP plan) and they won't do it thru that either. Says it covers just about everything else but not the paint.

Reply to
Brian V

I'm not sure about your explorer, but the warranty for my 2007 Five Hundred provides this, with regard to paint coverage:

"Your vehicle?s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory workmanship. For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty ? our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first."

So, I guess the only way you will get coverage for the rusting is if a body panel was actually rusted all the way through, resulting in one or more holes in the metal. Otherwise, you will need to convince them that the paint problem was the result of a factory defect and not caused by the weather or the environment. Good luck.

Reply to
WDS

So you had a three year warranty, now it's 2009 so your car could be five years old, what is the problem? They just don't warranty them forever because you throw a fit.

I remember feeling badly for people when warranties were TWELVE FRIGGIN MONTHS long and something happend at eighteen months or eighteen thousand miles. The factory warranties are much better now but they still aren't going to guarantee the SOB for your whole life, get over it.

Reply to
Scott

I have had plenty of mail on this. Its absurd that a car which is only 4 years old should require body work. Had it outlived its useful lifespan, I would not complain. Its 4 years old, not 10, or 8 or even

6, and the rust did not appear overnight. Additionally, I have had email regarding contaninants, exposing the paint to adverse conditions. This is also absurd, as through the course of normal use, any vehicle would be exposed to those same contaminants and so by default, this is an admittance that this is an inferior vehicle. Too bad, I am otherwise happy with this 4th and last, Ford that I own.

Reply to
MrMoto

What makes you think other brands don't/haven't had the same issues from time to time? Even, gasp, "imports". Is teh only bad spot on the roof top? If so, you are pretty lucky, that you could fix yourself with a few spray cans. Only basketball pros would ever know.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher
6, and the rust did not appear overnight. Additionally, I have had email regarding contaninants, exposing the paint to adverse conditions. This is also absurd, as through the course of normal use, any vehicle would be exposed to those same contaminants and so by default, this is an admittance that this is an inferior vehicle. Too bad, I am otherwise happy with this 4th and last, Ford that I own.

It might be absurd, but if you don't get the rust fixed you are going to get your hair wet when it rains.

Reply to
Scott

Just be glad it wasn't GM. I had an 80 Pontiac that flaked off. In 1983! And a friends 81 Regal did the same thing. ZERO from GM. They were both silver...

Reply to
Mike Y

Wasn't that about the time all the companies were getting away from paints with lead? Seemed like a lot of cars (and trucks) got ugly real quick in that time frame.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

You should have been around when the warranty was only 30 days, 1000 miles. It took years for them to get to 90 days 4000 miles. ;)

As to paint warranties they are generally only 12/12, like wear items

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I find that odd my neighbor now has my 2005 that I owned since 2004 and it looks like new, curious

6, and the rust did not appear overnight. Additionally, I have had email regarding contaninants, exposing the paint to adverse conditions. This is also absurd, as through the course of normal use, any vehicle would be exposed to those same contaminants and so by default, this is an admittance that this is an inferior vehicle. Too bad, I am otherwise happy with this 4th and last, Ford that I own.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Perhaps, but that was back in the day when EVERY car that was painted IN the US developed paint problems because the government made the paint companies stop using certain chemicals, that the government determined was "harming the environment," without giving them the necessary time to test the replacement chemicals.

That brilliant move, caused the paint companies millions. The result was, some of them now make their paint off shore. The government also cost gasket manufactures millions and American workers their jobs, when it banned asbestoses without allowing enough time to test the replacement materials.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Wasn't lead. It was going away from a sprayed primer to a water based dip, and also away from VOC s in paint - going to water born paints. Took a while to get that figured out - and there are still occaisional adhesion problems.

Reply to
clare

In my opinion you are being unreasonable. The missing paint is only in the channels, which leads me to believe it is related to some sort of enviromental contamination. If the paint was bad, it should also be missing on the rest of the roof, and most likely other horizontal surfaces. You cannot expect Ford to be responsible for damage caused by extreme conditions beyond their control.

How diligent were you in waxing down in those channels? How often did you take a look at what was going on? Rather than blame Ford and bitch and moan while your roof rusts away, why haven't you had the missing paint touched up. Given the location, a perfect match to the color won't matter. You could have had the channels repainted months/years ago and the problem would be solved.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Hi,

No it really isn't neglect and I doubt its anything in the environment that caused this, for some reason white still seems to detach from the factory primer where you have creases and such. I used to paint and I really doubt the owner could have done anything to prevent this. I remember seeing it on many brands where the body has some sort of line to give the panels strength and this is where factory paint seems to start to come off. Really unlikely that anything like this is his fault. The factories don't actually sand anything to promote adhesion, I don't know what is done at the factory to promote adhesion but anyplace the paint comes off like this the primer will be as smooth as new paint.

The original poster just needs to realize that Ford isn't going to warranty this and take it someplace and spend $500 or so to get his roof sanded and painted.

It isn's some conspiracy by Ford to ruin his life.

Reply to
Scott

That's probably true. I know the leaded paints lasted much better since they weren't affected by heat or UV as much as the non-leaded paints (or so the story went when the Government outlawed it).

Reply to
SC Tom

on 9/26/09 6:28 AM MrMoto said the following:

Ford burned me on a Countour SVT with paint problems. That Ford would sell a car that was damaged as new (fixed paint job) is unacceptable. Most likely your Explorer's paint was repaired due to some type of damage. 'Quality is Job One' my arse.

Reply to
Yadda