2006 Grand Marquis seen today

Strolled throught the Mercury lot today looking at the 2006 Grand Marquis GS & LS Premium they had in stock..

The noticable changes on the 06 are.

A revised front end, new grille with thick verticle bars similar to the Mariner, new header panel, new bumper fascia, headlights & turnsignals. Looks more agressive looking than 05.

The Grand Marquis might have optional fog lights for 06. There are cut outs in the outer lower corners of the bumper that had black inserts , mounted from behind filling in the holes.

Mercury Logo on roof sail panels.

For 06 the radio antenna was relocated to the back glass ( like the 04 ) and is no longer on the RR quarter panel like 05. The radio in one GS looked to have a redesigned face plate.

Theres a new gauge cluster with Speedo, Tach, Fuel & Temp gauges. ( No volt or oil pressure gauges ).

The LS Premium has a lighter colored woodgrain trim panel while the GS has a darker walnut look. The 4 p ushbuttons for the driver info center are now located in the woodgrain trim above the AC unit.

The taillight assembly on decklid was redone with whitish grey plastic lens instead of it being all red.

The GS was priced in the $24,000 range.

HF

Reply to
Harry Face

Thanks Mister Face.

Reply to
351CJ

This is the most amazing thing about Grand Marquis - how do they sell them so cheap in a world of $30,000 Avalons and $24,000 Camrys?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

In a world of $3/gal gas prices, it would be hard to sell them for more. My local Ford/Merc dealer hasn't moved one in quite some time.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Do they get worse mileage now? 24 (or better) seems better than reasonable for a full size rear wheel land yacht.

Reply to
Mark

Nope, better than the 2 I've owned ('89 and '00). But a lot of it is perception.

Buyers are less likely to consider a big boat in when gas prices are high. I was trying to steer my uncle into a GM. He ended up with an Avalon that cost him 15 grand more, and is a lot less comfortable. When you cost out the extra money to own, gas would need to be a lot more than $3 to make up the difference.

The GM is still one of the best values on the road.

Reply to
Zeppo

For one thing RWD is less expensive to build but one could conclude Ford buyers are more astute then import buyers . My son in law bought a loaded

2005 GS for less than 19K. His total outlay was an amazing $6,000 less than if he would have bought another Accord. He is selling his 2002 Accord to a friend and will save another $2,000 over what the Honda dealer was offering for his trade.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Let me know where the resale is in 5 years on the GM vs. the Avalon.

Reply to
tony kujawa

Hardly, the difference in fuel mileage between a V8 GM and a V6 Camry is only around 3 miles per gallon. If you live in hilly country the GM is most likely to use less fuel.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

It is amazing how people look a fuel costs. The $15,000 premium he paid will buy ALL of the fuel for a GM for at least eight years or more. It is like those that buy hybrids. The premium price, and the future battery replacement cost, will by all of the fuel for ten years or more for a conventional power train. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

LOL, and the resale on the GM is S*IT compared to an accord.

Reply to
tony kujawa

As a percentage of return on the original purchase price the Mercury GM will be far greater than the Avalon or a Camry. A 2002 Avalon today is worth $5,000 more than a GM but it cost at least $10,000 more to drive home when both were new. Same is true of the GM v the Camry

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

As a percentage of return on the original purchase price the Mercury GM will be far greater than the Avalon or a Camry. A 2002 Avalon today is worth $5,000 more than a GM but it cost at least $10,000 more to drive home when both were new. Same is true of the GM v the Camry

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

My 02 Town car is basically the same vehicle. I average 17.7 in purely city driving and 25.5 all highway driving. My overall mpg for last year was 20.7.

Web Site:

David Starr

I would disagree with that only because FWD is still mainstream. The more of something you make, the cheaper it is to make. Doesn't make it better though...

Reply to
Mark

But the Accord is S*IT compared to the GM. What was your point again?

Reply to
Mark

Not true on the Camary. Sorry, A 2002 Camary is worth FAR more than a 2002 GM.

Reply to
tony kujawa

You may disagree if you wish but I was not stating an opinion. I worked for

30 years as an automotive design engineer, I know what it costs to build vehicles.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That my be your opinion but not when one compares the actual drive home price of a V6 Camry and a GM when new. The GM returns a greater return on the original investment than does a Camry

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Depends where you are. A 5 year old Toyota or Honda still has value here - you might even have people fighting over it. A 5 year old GM or Ford is pretty near worthless, comparatively.

When GM sold the Nova/spectrum - which was a Corolla, you could hardly give one away.

Same recently with Ford Escort vs Mazda 323. Virtually the same car - but Escorts were a dime a dozen, and people paid top buck for used Mazdas with higher mileage.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce