'89 Tempo advice needed

Just replaced the water pump, thermostat, hoses, etc. No leaks, but the water in the radiator gets way too hot and the radiator cap will eventually depressurize with a loud popping sound.

I ran a flush through the system and it's a little better, but still way too much pressure in the radiator. Also, cooling fan doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions on what to check? Thanks...

Reply to
RAD1

How's the head gasket look? Any moisture coming from there?

-LMB

Ace of Spades in the NG Evil Cabal pack of cards! Take the High Road!!! Vist

Words to live by:

Save the trees...wipe your butt on an owl. Fight crime...Shoot back Eat well, Stay fit, Die anyway. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

What has 4 legs and an arm????????? A happy pit bull.

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

RAD1 opined in news:HD59b.141894$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

One

Change the cap... The radiator is supposed to be completely FULL of coolant... the overflow bottle handles expansion. And it's normal for the rad to get to 14 - 16 lbs... it has to to avoid boiling of the coolant in the engine.

Disconnect fan harness... see if it runs when connected directly to battery.

- then find the fan switch. Not familiar with that year, the ECM may control it or it may have a switch of its own... The gauge sender is one wire near the thermostat. The ECT sensor is two wires.. see if engine starts easily when that is disconnected. If it does not, that's the ECT. Look for a third, which may be in a heater line.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yes, cooling fan doesn't seem to be working.

Reply to
Pygoscelis Papua

Reply to
B.McNeill

I'd recommend replacing the radiator. You can find a decent one at a junkyard. I've seen a lot of Ford Escort, Mercury Lynx, Mercury Tracer, Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz parts at a junkyard in my area. So, bascially the radiator from a late 80's Ford Escort, Ford Tempo, Mercury Lynx and Mercury Topaz are about the same.

~CyberWolf

Reply to
CyberWolf