Aerostar Power Steering Pumps Whine

I'm on my 2nd Aerostar. Fabulous vans - will be sad when the 97 dies....

But I notice that, in every stinking one I have seen or talked to the owner, the power steering pumps whine. The lovely wife can hear mine a block away.

Wonder why they didn't take the time to fix that in 10 years of production?

Fred

Reply to
Fred

It's not just the Aerostars. The vast majority of Ford Motor Company products had that same power steering pump.

The whine is caused by air in the PS system. Unless the pump is damaged, the sound will go away when you fix any leaks, fill the pump reservior properly, bleed it, and keep it filled. Bleeding it is simply turning the wheel 3 times from lock to lock.

Try that and see how it helps you.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

It's a Ford thing. Good news is that they did finally fix it, my '00 Sable doesn't have the whine that my previous Fords had.

Reply to
Repairman

Power steering pumps are gear pumps. If it is whining it was most likely run while low or with contaminated fluid, scoring the gears. The pump will work, but it will always whine. One of my neighbors has a Toyota truck that was run low but it is still working five years later. When he found out how much a new pump cost for a Toyota, he would rather turn up the volume on the radio ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Hopw often ahve you serviced the fluid, if ever?

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Ma Ford drop shipped an adapter to many dealers.... this fits in place of the PS pump cap and we use a vacuum pump to apply vacuum to the system. With vacuum applied, run the engine and turn the wheels lock to lock.... it can sound terrible for a few seconds but works in 90% of the cases I have seen.

Someone with a little ingenuity could probably jerry-rig one from an old reservoir cap...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks, CJ. I just checked it and here's what I found out -- it's full and hasn't used a drop of fluid in 6 months. Then I bled it - turned the wheel

3 times like you said but still no improvement.
Reply to
Fred

Yeah, I know it will work, but the problem is my radio is not working either.

Reply to
Fred

Had this one 6 months and no work done since. Fluid is clear and no odor though.

Reply to
Fred

I have seen "rebuilt" or "remanufactured" units whine worse than the ones they replaced.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Does this ever work on a Ford pump that has been whining a little for years? Also, ever changed that filter on a Taurus? looks like its on the low pressure side of the p/s.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

When one buys a used vehicle they can never know for sure how that vehicle was used, or abused, or whether it was serviced properly, or not. That the fluid look fresh would indicates to me it was not serviced properly and it was run dirty then changed by the seller before your purchase. You might try some STP, if that does not work and the whine is bothersome, change the pump or turn up the radio, WBMA ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Can you sing? LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I replaced the power steering pump on my Aerostar last summer. The rebuilders instructions said the pump may whine for a short time after replacement. Mine whined from day one.

I was too lazy to change the oil two weeks ago, so I took it to the local oil change place, they vacuumed out the powr steering fluid and replaced the fluid with new. Took care of the whine in my 93 Aerostar.

The guy said the slightest amount of water will contaminate the fluid and cause a whine. He said this is common on Fords and vacuuming out the old oil usually fixes the whine, worked with me.

Frank

Reply to
Frank from Deeetroit

thanks for the info.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

I don't know if it would work for you or anyone else but, I have had good luck putting 2 oz. of Lubegard Red in all 3 of my current Fords. They all went silent after a couple of days. I think the Lubegard may have a deareating additive as I have seen the same results in the E4OD transmissions I have used it in. There are probably other additive that would work but, that iss the limit of my anecdotal experience. As was pointed out, there is a vacuum pum adapter that can aid in purging air from the system when filling. If you ever get a quiet one, make damn sure it is never low on fluid.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Thanks Frank. Good to find this out.

Reply to
Fred

I'm trying to understand..... Is it water or air or both that cause the whining? And what actually caused the sound? Just trying to learn something.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

I may be wrong but, I believe the sound may be the pressure control valve chattering which is aggravated by small air bubblets in the fluid. That is why I believe Ford came up with the vacuum adapter to use when filling the system. Most hydraulic systems do have a noise problem similar to this if there is any air entrained in the fluid. I think the system probably runs too warm for moiture to remain a problem in a closed system.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Not only that, but if moisture were a big problem, why would there be a vent hole in the cap?

CJB

Reply to
CJB