Catalyst is operating below norm code?

96 GL Taurus wagon. 3.0ohv v6. 134,000 miles. Has two trouble codes. One is the camshaft positon sensor (tried to replace yesterday but found the top of the drive that passes the sensor in peices. :-( Now I got issues...). The other is a Catalyst warning. Now there is a exhaust leak prior to the cat. Car runs ok, and squeaked by the emmissons inspection last year. Well it's time to get stickers again. Can I just fix the leak or am I shopping for a cat??? I only have 10 payments left on this thing so with Xmas coming soon money is tight. I need some advice!!!
Reply to
Tiger

With that many miles it most likely needs a cat. Your ford dealer probably has the camshaft sensor and drive in stock, its a fairly common problem. Just mark the old one and put the new one in the same way.(shaft) You have to remove some things on top ( a small braket if I remember right, and push that hugh lume of wires out of the way)

Reply to
Scott M

Probably the sensor is fine. The problem is that there is nothing to sense. When you fix the top of the drive, it should work fine.

Only if you like pets.

Seriously you say there is an exhaust like before the cat. This is potentially VERY dangerous because the exhaust can get inside the cabin. Get this fixed.

Catalytic convertors burn unburned gas (hydrocarbons). Just like when gas burns in engines, it makes heat, when unburned gas passes through the catalytic convertor, it burns. And when that happens it produces heat. I suspect that if it is not as hot as it should be, that means the catalytic convertor is not effective any more, and it will need to be replaced.

Make sure there is not an exhaust leak first.(It won't be a good Christmas if your kids or yourself is suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning from exhaust fumes). Then get the cam thing fixed. Then fix the cat if need be.

Only 10 payments? With these fixes, you should have a car that will last long enough for you to save up for the next down payment. Fix the car.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

in article brcg3s$ snipped-for-privacy@library2.airnews.net, Jeff at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 12/12/03 8:35 AM:

Well, Ok I'll have to dig in the pocket and get a new Cat. Damn, Damn Damn! God I miss my RX-7...

Reply to
Tiger

in article 6G7Cb.16565$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.socal.rr.com, Scott M at snipped-for-privacy@no.com wrote on 12/11/03 7:08 PM:

I hate "fairly" common problems!!!! It leads to FORD jokes you know. I just wish fairly common problems didn't cost so much. I spent $30 just for t sensor and now I need to fix the drive thing. Ughhhhhhh! I hate work ing on cars in December.

Reply to
Tiger

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Do the words "Visa" or "Mastercard" ring a bell?

Replacing the cat and fixing the cam thing is cheaper than getting a new car in the long run.

Sorry, I can't help you with the $.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff