Engine stalls when put in gear

I have a 1989 Tempo, 2.3L EFI, that has just started stalling. Had the battery out for an hour or so, which I'm guessing has allowed the computer to reset thus exposing this problem.

It starts, runs. idles and accelerates fine, but, idle drops to the point it will stall when stopping and when shifting into P/R. This seems to happen more so when the car is warmed up, when cold, idle speed is high enough to prevent stalling.

Should I start checking for vacuum problems/leaks, or is it more likely a faulty sensor?

Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas.

Robin

Reply to
Robin Cecile

Throttle position sensor?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

This same thing would happen to my buddies z-24. The thing would always die when he put it in gear, stopped , ect. M brother checked it out for him and found out the torque converter wasn't unlocking. My brother installed a new on and it worked great after that. I hope this helps.

Have a Good Day,,,,,, Randy, Janine,

Reply to
PUDNHEAD

Hmm, I can think of several sensors that might end up with something weird like this (depending on whether or not you have them). I don't know if you have a crank position sensor or how the ignition advance is done. Possibly a thermal sensor for coolant is the cause. Do you notice the problem relating to heat?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= *** Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***

Jim Hernandez

Hey Jim, Thanks for your response.

Just finished replacing the heater core (brutal job!). Heat wasn't the problem but fogged windows in a Canadian winter sure was. No sensors attached to it, or anywhere near the heating system. There is an engine coolant temperature sensor on the thermostat housing, but this would be a real coincidence for this sensor to go at the same time as the heater core. Stranger things have happened I guess. I was thinking more along the lines of a faulty MAP sensor or throttle position sensor.

I guess I'm going to have to track down a Ford error code reader and see if it will show which sensor is gone, before I start randomly replacing sensors.

Thanks again for your response, will check the manual for a crank position sensor, etc. Any other ideas knowing that heat is not the problem?

Robin

Reply to
Robin Cecile

There is no lock-up on that Tempo transmission. Oh well.

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1

You don't have an airlock under the temperature sensor??

Alex

Reply to
Alex Harrington

Hmmm.....might be Alex.

I'll pull out, clean and reinstall the sensor and see.

Thanks for the idea

Robin

Reply to
Robin Cecile

Clean the throttle bore and IAC, it is a common problem on Fords. A dirty bore will make the idle goofy and the computer just cant quite make up for it.

Reply to
Scott M