Escort transmission not shifting when warm

Hello...I received a 1996 Ford Escort LX in which the fella replaced the transaxle improperly. I was told that he left the jack down really fast and something apparently wasn't properly installed and since then....it won't shift once it gets warm. Someone told me that this can be a common problem also occurring if you were to bump the curb. Any ideas on what could be the issue? Thanks, Tom

Reply to
kyordy

I think this indicates a failing transmission fluid pump, a trans export will no doubt correct me, but as I understand the theory, as the trans fluid gets hot it gets thinner and less viscous, and a trans fluid pump that is worn has a lot of clearance, thus cannot develop adequate pressure to shift when the trans is hot.

I suspect that the fella had a blown-up transmission and so did the time honored deal of going to a u-pull-it wrecking yard and getting himself a boneyard trans, that after doing all the work to install it, he discovered this problem, and so ended up just giving up on it. I suspect the jack letting down story is a big bunch of baloney.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

those escort trans are junk from day one you are better off getting one rebuilt then putting in a used one put 3 used ones in mine and got pissed off after the third one and junked it

Reply to
truckdriver