Ford settles faulty parts lawsuit (palstic intake manifold)

Ford settles faulty parts lawsuit

Reuters / December 16, 2005

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. said on Friday it has settled a class-action lawsuit over a defective plastic part on certain vehicles.

The lawsuit said that plastic intake manifolds, which routes air to the engine, on some Ford and Lincoln-Mercury vehicles from the 1996 through 2002 model years are prone to cracking and failure, according to San Francisco law firm Levy, Ram & Olson, which represents the plaintiffs.

Under terms of the settlement, owners who have already paid to have the manifolds replaced will receive full reimbursement from Ford, spokeswoman Kathleen Vokes said.

The company is also extending the new-vehicle warranty up to seven years, she added.

Levy, Ram & Olson said Ford has committed to reimburse $735 per vehicle for repairs without a receipt.

The law firm estimates that Ford is liable for more than $100 million in replacement costs of the manifolds, said attorney Mike Ram of Levy, Ram & Olson.

Ford, however, disputes the amount.

"We believe their speculation regarding cost is significantly inflated," Vokes said.

Reply to
C. E. White

I wonder if GM will be doing the same.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

How about Chrysler?

Reply to
Art

I hadn't heard of problem with plastic intake manifolds on Chryslers.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I replaced the manifold myself on my 96 T-Bird last year. My daughter now owns the car. It cost me about $300 for the part. I inquired about a recall at the time and was told my 7 years had expired. Is it possible to now get that back? If so, how? Thanks

Reply to
ankhe105

You're probably SOL. But you should file a complaint with the feds, at the ODI.

The court settlement requiring Ford to pay for the repair of your cracked plastic V8 manifold became final last Friday, Dec. 16.

The coverage is for manifolds that failed within 7 years of purchase.

If your car is eligible, you have just 90 days, til Mar. 16, to apply for your refund. Go to your Ford dealer, or see flamingfords.info, for details. You do not have to have your repair receipt.

Jim

ankhe105 wrote:

Reply to
Henry

Thanks Jim. I did as you suggested and now will see if anything happens. Appreciate the info. Doug

Reply to
ankhe105