Ford workers in Windsor accept early retirement or buyouts

Ford workers in Windsor accept early retirement or buyouts

WINDSOR, Ontario -- More than 900 Ford Motor Co. workers here are accepting early retirement or buyout packages.

Of the 955 workers affected, 610 have opted for early retirement, while 345 are taking part in the special termination of employment program.

The retirement package includes a $70,000 to $80,000 (US$60,340 to US$68,970) incentive with a $30,000 (US$25,860) car voucher.

Another 67 local workers have opted to transfer to jobs at Ford plants outside the Windsor area.

The Windsor casting plant is slated to close in July, while the Essex engine plant will shut its doors in the fall.

Ford announced in November that 38,000 hourly workers throughout North America had accepted buyout or early retirement packages.

-- "I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please." John Wayne

Reply to
Jim Higgins