Intake Manifold Install Questions

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis (W). After 92000 miles, it finally happened....my manifold devloped a crack on the bottom of the intake crossover. (article 02-2-2) Luckily I wasn't too far from home so the tow charge was fairly low. (funny how the radiator hoses last longer than the manifold) I would like to completely drain the anti-freeze before starting this project. According to the instructions there are anti-freeze drain plugs on the block that can be removed. The only things I see toward the bottom of the block are some 10mm bolts (looks like 4 per side) and also freeze plugs. Are these bolts the drain plugs? Also, as far as relieving the pressure in the fuel rail, the instructions call for a MFI pressure gauge (T80L-9974-B) is there another (safe and cheaper) way to relieve the pressure? And finally do the injectors just unscrew out of the manifold? Any other hints in replacing this would be helpfull! (I've ordered "$$$ THE KIT $$$" from Ford.)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Reply to
DHAC
  1. There should be a drain at the bottom of the radiator, if you can't find it, pull the lower hose.
  2. Start the car and either pull the fuel pump relay, or trip the inertia switch in the trunk.
  3. Remove the bolts holding the rail on, lift the rail and injectors.
Reply to
Michael O

lmfao you must be a yankee drain plug is in RAD u only need drain so rad is lower than manifold

lmfao push in schrader valve with small screwdriver cover with rag discard porperly no open flame

foctard whose ya daddy

hurc ast

Reply to
conradblack922376

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You are such a dumb fu*k. He plainly said he wanted to completely drain the system ass*ole. I realize you make a game out of being an idiot,but even for you this is stupid!!!!! KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Nice Post KB!! Yes, I want to replace ALL coolant in the system since it has been in for over 2 years. No games here. Please tell all of us how you would drain all anti-freeze?

Reply to
DHAC

Check closer... the bolts you describe are the girdle bolts for the main bearings. IIRC, the bock drains (one per side) will take an 8 mm allen key.

The injectors just pull out of the manifold.... a slight twisting motion will help break the seal of the O-rings. When you install them (new O-rings preferred)just dip your finger in motor oil and wipe around the O-ring to ease installation.

happened....my

Reply to
Jim Warman

drain the rad foctard hurc ast

Reply to
conradblack922376

"DHAC" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

I am not intimate with said motor but all have block drains that look like a plug or bolt toward the lower part of the water jacket usually both sides and some both front and rear. with out being familar could not deff.say without seeing it. someone with more exp. may give exact location. And said troll is a scourge upon the group. (I just couldn`t resist) KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

lmfao keep looking pal as far as im concerned you are a back yard hack

hurc ast ford mastertech

Reply to
conradblack922376

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

did some just hear a fart in the wind? KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff